Can you air layer a 100+ year old tree?

SininCincinnati

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is only my second year in bonsai. I have 25+ years in gardening. I have 150 gallon tall reef tank, many orchids, 30+ rosebushes, 30+ hydrangeas, and too many other plants to list. My question is how large of an old tree can you air layer a branch from? I have 3 100 plus year-old silver maples and even larger oak. I have a 40 foot ladder. I am eyeballing some insane branches from my second story with great taper. Everything I’ve read it might take a year or more to root.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is only my second year in bonsai. I have 25+ years in gardening. I have 150 gallon tall reef tank, many orchids, 30+ rosebushes, 30+ hydrangeas, and too many other plants to list. My question is how large of an old tree can you air layer a branch from? I have 3 100 plus year-old silver maples and even larger oak. I have a 40 foot ladder. I am eyeballing some insane branches from my second story with great taper. Everything I’ve read it might take a year or more to root.
Probably could. Might take a while, but look at the accomplishment.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have heard oaks are difficult if not impossible to air layer. Silver maple should take. It would be worth a try. No guts no glory right?😁

SininCincinnati

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have heard oaks are difficult if not impossible to air layer. Silver maple should take. It would be worth a try. No guts no glory right?😁
Thank you sir I’m gonna try ton of branches facing the back of our eyes view!

SininCincinnati

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also have tree spikes but I’ve gained weight and haven’t use them in a few years. Scary shit that high up

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you sir I’m gonna try ton of branches facing the back of our eyes view!
Luckily silver maples grow pretty fast. If they don’t take you should have more branches in a few years. I’ve done tree work off and on over the years and I’m proud to say I’m too fat for tree spikes🤣

SininCincinnati

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m addicted to this shit now! I’ve worked in high-rises downtown I’m fine but thank you. I want a thick trunk

SininCincinnati

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a shit ton of 2 year silver maple seedlings if you don’t want to risk a fall for a little maple.
I fight those seedlings every spring! I go organic in my back lawn for my border collie. My front lawn is perfectly manicured.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
do the layering in spring. The earlier, the better. Vut at least 1/8 inch through bark. spray with water and coat heavily with rooting hormone, the wrap in damp spangum moss, wrap plactic bag material around the damp moss and secure tightly on either side of the layering with tie straps. Foregt it for maybe three months before doing anything. If you use clearish plastic you will be able to see roots as/if they form. If the layering works, trim the layering to only a few shortish limbs before potting. Do not remove the moss,when potting and keep in grenhouse for the first year. Good luck.

Oh - look at this youtube first - three parts, i think.

Here is one for the oak tree.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Airlayers the same as cuttings reduce considerably the success rate the older the branch you are taking, but you got to consider that the branch probably wont be as old as the tree itself. If you give it enough time and make a good airlayer it likely would root

Top Bottom