Can you air layer a root

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Last fall I found a Doug fir that was in a scree field. Its about 2.5 ft tall, has a dead top, and sits on top of a boulder. Im guessing it's about 50 years old. Wish I had taken a photo. I removed about 1 foot of rocks to see what the roots looked like. I found that it has two major roots going into the scree. I didn't see any immediate fibrous roots. My plan was to go back this spring and collect it. But im afraid that the roots go too far in before collectible roots are found. So one thought that I had was to try and air layer one of the main roots, and come back in 2021. They're easily accessible because of the scree. The surrounding rocks are fist to football sized. Has anybody ever tried this? This tree would be an incredible bonsai!!! I can try and draw a picture if you can't envision it.

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess it wouldnt be considered air layering. But it's not really a ground layer either because I would be adding sphagnum and wrapping it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Various modifications of layering have been used on roots to get them to produce feeder roots closer to the trunk in preparation for collecting. It certainly is possible to use plastic wrapped sphagnum to induce feeder roots on larger roots. i don't know how Douglas fir will respond but it would be worth a go I think. Make your wraps large enough to maintain moisture for the time you can't be there. When roots start to grow they will be drawing water out of the wrapped moss. If it dries out completely the new roots will also die.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pre dig the tree.
This year is a shovel or something to cut the roots under the dirt and let them naturally heal and produce new roots from the cut.
Not all roots just half way around.
Do the other half the next year.
You'll be waiting until the third year to collect it but you're also giving it the best chance to survive.
If it's a great tree it will be worth the wait.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This year is a shovel or something to cut the roots under the dirt and let them naturally heal and produce new roots from the cut.
Sounds like the problem is that there is no dirt. The tree is growing in scree - just piles of rocks.
There must have been enough moisture at some stage for the seed to germinate and grow roots deep enough to survive but there may not be enough damp for new feeders to survive if they grow from the cut roots. To make this work you would be gambling on having a good wet year I think.
The layering will provide a pocket of moisture to promote new roots. Whether that's enough only time will tell.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You could take some Doug Fir seedlings and approach graft them close to the trunk so their roots end up being what sustains the tree. Otherwise, this tree may fall into the big category of uncollectible.

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could take some Doug Fir seedlings and approach graft them close to the trunk so their roots end up being what sustains the tree. Otherwise, this tree may fall into the big category of uncollectible.
Thanks for that suggestion! I have a couple of 2 year old fir seedlingsthat would work well for this.

Once the road opens up in April I'll head back up there armed with the tools to perform all of these suggestions. And then decide from there what the best tactic is. I have a feeling that it is collectible, I just need to pick the right method. Im willing to wait a few years for this one, as it once of the most beautiful specimen I have seen in the wild. I'll also touch up on Walter Palls writing to see if he may have some insight.

Thanks!

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was finally able to get back up to the tree today. It's much larger than I remember. Probably a 4" diameter at root collar. The two roots that I am considering layering are in the photos. For now, I think I'll try to increase the surface roots by adding some duff or moss. It's a really dry location Sri I'm not sure it will do any good. This tree is beautiful, but im not sure if it's collectible. They're doing road work above, and I'm afraid it will get trashed by falling rocks. We'll see........

Top Bottom