Can you bareroot a nursery yew?

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
sorry to ask this but I tried the search function and Yew is too short to return an answer.

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's up to Yew!!

Is it pushing buds?
Is it immature stock? Young plants take the work better.
Is it root bound in it's nursery pot?

When I don't know somethings, I am more apt to break up what I can and pot it without doing a full bareroot. Sometimes I find that a bush has almost no root system and I go for it. If you take it out of the pot and all the soil falls out what have you got to lose.

Sometimes the rootball is so awfu,l I take a couple of repottings to get it where it needs to be.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sorry to ask this but I tried the search function and Yew is too short to return an answer.

I've barerooted six collected yews from landscapes over the last few years with no problems, even used a hose to get out the thick red clay. That being said, I did try to keep on as many roots as possible, so I did end up with pockets of field soil. I planted them in a turface/pumice mix, and the following year, I flattened the rootball and removed all field soil. I was surprised at how many feeder roots they put out. Here is one that was collected in 2011 and barerooted, followed by a picture of its roots the following year.

Yew 2011.jpgYew 2012.jpg

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
It is a Japanese yew.looked pretty decent for a Lowes purchase. Thank you.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected 2 from a defunct nursery last Oct. and they both look good after the same misery of the hose washing off all old clay and now they live in Turface. Both have nice new bright green growth. I thought it prudent to not abuse them further this year, but Nagatoshi is coming to town next week so I MAY give him first crack at the one that may have less potential.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've barerooted six collected yews from landscapes over the last few years with no problems, even used a hose to get out the thick red clay. That being said, I did try to keep on as many roots as possible, so I did end up with pockets of field soil. I planted them in a turface/pumice mix, and the following year, I flattened the rootball and removed all field soil. I was surprised at how many feeder roots they put out. Here is one that was collected in 2011 and barerooted, followed by a picture of its roots the following year.

View attachment 33932View attachment 33931
Six is enough to say bare root them. Would you recommend it? I'm gonna dig one E. yew and lonicera from a garden this spring. Their root balls were cut with a spade at least twice in previous years, lifted and inspected them in the fall they're incredibly compact. Asking because they both are some of my best trunks...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@petegreg
Old topic :p
I dont have much experience yet but have some with yew tough
You Might find my thread on my big yew project helpfull it has some discussion on this subject :)

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/project-taxus.24631/

i went very hard on the roots harder than anyone actualy should but its still alive i believe a big help is doing it at the right time

if they are healthy they are tough i got another example if you like from a yew i used for a contest at bonsai empire forum again i didnt hold back at repotting its still alive and i expect both of them growing strong this year!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@petegreg
Old topic :p
I dont have much experience yet but have some with yew tough
You Might find my thread on my big yew project helpfull it has some discussion on this subject :)

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/project-taxus.24631/

i went very hard on the roots harder than anyone actualy should but its still alive i believe a big help is doing it at the right time

if they are healthy they are tough i got another example if you like from a yew i used for a contest at bonsai empire forum again i didnt hold back at repotting its still alive and i expect both of them growing strong this year!
Old topic ~ actual problem, thanks for the link, I'll check it.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Old topic ~ actual problem, thanks for the link, I'll check it.

For what it’s worth, barerooting on collection isn’t a problem - at least in my experience. I’ve gotten very good root growth in the year following. I think the key though is to let the trees rest 2-3 years to recover. My sense is that the tree really depleted it’s stored reserves to put out new roots and foliage. So in a way, it will look much healthier than it is. Better to give it time to replenish the stored energy. Graham Potter I think also suggested the 3-year period.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For what it’s worth, barerooting on collection isn’t a problem - at least in my experience. I’ve gotten very good root growth in the year following. I think the key though is to let the trees rest 2-3 years to recover. My sense is that the tree really depleted it’s stored reserves to put out new roots and foliage. So in a way, it will look much healthier than it is. Better to give it time to replenish the stored energy. Graham Potter I think also suggested the 3-year period.
Thank you for your response, yes it's what I've read about them.
I've bare rooted 3 nursery yews, all reacted very well.
Gonna do 4 more this spring.
Thanks, digging one big and one small this spring. I see your yews respond just well.
Also if you say its been chopped in the ground and lifted up before with a compact rootsystem its going to be way less of a insult i did to my yews

I remember a topic about someone carrying a big collected yew around town it was @markyscott :p

https://bonsainut.com/threads/large-urban-dori-yew.26321/
Yes, they are pre-prepared, I hope it will help, thanks.

Top Bottom