can you collect trees in fall?

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If so, what species are best for collecting in autumn and winter? after collection, just keep them protected from freezing temps? give them good after care.. would they make it? there are shrubs being taken down where I love but I'd like to collect them before they are destroyed. pines, boxwood, old azaleas etc..

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If so, what species are best for collecting in autumn and winter? after collection, just keep them protected from freezing temps? give them good after care.. would they make it? there are shrubs being taken down where I love but I'd like to collect them before they are destroyed. pines, boxwood, old azaleas etc..
Although I'm a good bit south of you, I'll begin collecting stuff from late summer through spring. Always have had good survival rate........about 90per cent survival so far. As you said, aftercare is the ticket. If the plants you've seen are going to be destroyed anyway, go for it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've collected in late autumn....better called early winter. However, the trees I collect go right back in the ground. Nature-cared over winter. Mostly Hornbeam and Beech. Reasonable success. I have much better success collecting in spring at bud swell time though, so I can best prune the roots when collected....mostly American Elm, Hawthorne.

I've pulled out some bushes, mostly Burning Bush, in the late autumn early winter before the ground freezes. They go right back in the ground closer to my care though. Nature takes over for the winter and the collected bushes have done just fine....Burning Bushes seem to survive most anything though so might not be a good guide example.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My club's first collecting trip is normally a week or so before Christmas. The environment is forest land with nice loamy soil, very easy to extract trees. We go for what I consider to be easy collectible trees like American hornbeam, beech, wild blueberry. These have an almost 100% success rate.

I have found that Virginia pine collection will only be successful (for me) in the spring. They do not make it through winter. Sweetgum are more difficult to collect early in the season. (However we have one guy that has great success.) Some people may not like sweetgum but we found some interesting specimens that were cut down by beavers and regrew.

We have collected landscape yews both in Jan and March. In January success rate was about 50% (but this was about 3 winters ago and unusually cold 'til April.) In late March success rate was much better.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I collect in spring for the 'regular collection mode' however I also have a 'Thanksgiving collection mode' with a different process: for the totally deciduous trees I collect them when they are in complete dormancy (i.e. no leaf remaining at all, this correspond to Thanksgiving here normally), cut almost all their roots and bury them in the ground. The next spring, when trees of the same species start to bud in the neighborhood, I dig my tree out and pot it.

This works really well with some species like elms for instance and you don't have to worry about the potting and survival in winter, just after the collection.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had always heard fall was a good time, but it never made sense if we repot right before bud break. It's good to know people have had success though! I'd love to find a good tree to dig around here. I've been using this time to scope them out, it's easier when the leaves are gone (identification is tougher, though). I've been meaning to get some fluorescent tape to mark trees with potential.

vicn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fall is traditionally a good time to dig/replant trees. I think the caveat would be to take care how much root you remove at this time. I would cut the tap root, but try to keep as much other roots as you can, to give the best chance for survival. Keep damp, but not soggy.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall is traditionally a good time to dig/replant trees. I think the caveat would be to take care how much root you remove at this time. I would cut the tap root, but try to keep as much other roots as you can, to give the best chance for survival. Keep damp, but not soggy.
If you collect deciduous species in fall with this qualifier, do you have any evidence that collecting more root produces a better survival rate? I haven't seen it. With the assumed reduction of the aboveground part of the tree in balance with chopping off most of the roots, trees have in my experience responded very well with surprisingly little root. Food is not stored exclusively in the root zone during winter; this is one of the arguments I hear for collecting lots of roots.

Zach

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've never collected in fall but I have in mid winter - American hornbeam, Collected it like I would any other tree, cut all the roots I didn't need,kept as many fine roots as I could. Chopped the top, bare rooted and potted it up in bonsai soil. Kept it in my unheated garage till spring and it did great. Though I think I just stick to spring as it takes forever to cut through frozen ground :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you collect deciduous species in fall with this qualifier, do you have any evidence that collecting more root produces a better survival rate? I haven't seen it. With the assumed reduction of the aboveground part of the tree in balance with chopping off most of the roots, trees have in my experience responded very well with surprisingly little root. Food is not stored exclusively in the root zone during winter; this is one of the arguments I hear for collecting lots of roots.

Zach
I’ve noticed that you have lots of experience with collecting our native trees in the south. Do you find spring and fall to be equally good times to collect deciduous trees such as oak? Should we wait till the leaves have fallen and tree is dormant in either case? Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve noticed that you have lots of experience with collecting our native trees in the south. Do you find spring and fall to be equally good times to collect deciduous trees such as oak? Should we wait till the leaves have fallen and tree is dormant in either case? Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
This is a 2 year old thread. However, Harry Harrington has a recent article in Bonsai Focus magazine about Autumn collecting. He says the success rate is higher, but you need to be able to protect the tree from frosts. In Autumn most trees are going into their biggest phase of root growth. Also, as temperatures go down the tree needs less water. When you collect in spring the tree has to grow new roots and put out foliage at the same time. Also, temperatures are rising and leaves are opening, so the tree starts to need more and more water soon after you've reduced its roots. It helps if the tree still has leaves when you collect in Autumn. This produces hormones that trigger root growth. Walter Pall and the book Modern Bonsai Practices also recommend collecting and repotting in Autumn. This idea is still new and controversial.

If you can't provide frost protection, then collect in Spring.

Reaction score
This is a 2 year old thread. However, Harry Harrington has a recent article in Bonsai Focus magazine about Autumn collecting. He says the success rate is higher, but you need to be able to protect the tree from frosts. In Autumn most trees are going into their biggest phase of root growth. Also, as temperatures go down the tree needs less water. When you collect in spring the tree has to grow new roots and put out foliage at the same time. Also, temperatures are rising and leaves are opening, so the tree starts to need more and more water soon after you've reduced its roots. It helps if the tree still has leaves when you collect in Autumn. This produces hormones that trigger root growth. Walter Pall and the book Modern Bonsai Practices also recommend collecting and repotting in Autumn. This idea is still new and controversial.

Yep.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Thanks for the reply! So you’re saying it’s also beneficial to keep as much foliage as possible during autumn collection?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you collect in fall early fall is better, for deciduous.
I've seen trees without leaves growing new fine roots after collecting before they get frozen.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fall collection is not a good idea in most climates (from middle of September to December).
Late summer collecting is the new thing (beginnign of August to middle of September). This brings very good results for many species in northern European climate - better than spring. Frost protection advisable. Or planting into ground right away.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks
No, I wouldn't say collecting in spring and fall are equally advantageous. I have done both, but unless there's a compelling reason I stick with a season of January 1 through March 31 for the bulk of the work. Sweetgum is collected after first flush, April through June works really well and better than in dormancy. You can lift Chinese elms after they come out, just defoliate. I've had worse luck with them in the dead of winter or prior to budding. Oaks can be collected later in the year, into summer, but not too late. Also defoliate (this is true for all deciduous when in leaf).

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Depends on zone you are living in and when you put your trees: if you plant them into the ground then fall is a great time for collecting deciduous, assuming your winters are not extremely cold. That's why most experts recommend fall planting over spring planting trees/shrubs. If it works for non bonsai trees i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work for pre-bonsai trees as well. You can also use very big pots to protect roots from winter freeze a little bit more or put your new tree to protected area. If you just plant the tree in a very small pot then i would say spring is a better time.
I also have great results with middle september repoting.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Although I'm a good bit south of you, I'll begin collecting stuff from late summer through spring. Always have had good survival rate........about 90per cent survival so far. As you said, aftercare is the ticket. If the plants you've seen are going to be destroyed anyway, go for it.
Yes, I saved an 80 plus year old rose bush but I made sure the soil never got colder than 40 degrees.

Top Bottom