Can You Cut A Crab Apple Mid Growing Season?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a 8-10’ crab apple I have been ground growing for two years. I want to dig it up next spring and do root work. Can I cut it back to the base now so it has the rest of the season to recover. Is it better to do both the chop and root work next spring? I’ll probably put it back into the ground to grow the next section out.

16DC01D9-852E-4E63-9A2A-F2D67FE236D7.jpeg27F11F6B-3F22-4E9A-BABE-63EBCBEBF6DC.jpeg

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd wait. But if the soil is warm enough up there, consider cutting some of the main roots back now. It will make a huge difference at lifting time.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My biggest concern with a full on chop...
Is its tendency to eff the trunk and only grow suckers....

Research well the timing.

But I would play it safe...lop a good bit of top to see if it buds lower.

Even a bud and branch at 3ft-5ft high can be trained into a next segment and airlayer as great material.
Matter of fact ..
I'd hack the top back to every good 2 segment starts there are...and layer them all right now.

Then when you get that lowest bud..even too high...when you train that and layer it...you may just get the perfect low branch to let grow into a new great inch thick lead to cut back too.

Safe. Mad more good material.
No ...or less..worries of death or only suckers...

My layered crab from GailC is banging!

And the trunk I lopped off and threw in the dirt still has leaves and may even be growing already!

My yard apples lol. .....I have cut back in spring hard and they always throw low branches off the trunk...ones to safely work down to.

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
If it were mine, I'd try to air layer some of the top off but make sure to leave a few branches below the layer.

I made a layer on a crabapple just a couple weeks ago and it's already throwing roots.

Save the big chop and root work till next spring.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I'd wait. But if the soil is warm enough up there, consider cutting some of the main roots back now. It will make a huge difference at lifting time.
I just took a reading of the soil temp at 15 cm deep, it is 19.4° C. I don’t know what is considered warm soil though. Prepping the roots rather then the trunk now makes sense. Thanks. If I can cut the roots back, should I take a shovel and cut around or just dig into the base with my hand and cut the largest individual roots?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd try to air layer some of the top off but make sure to leave a few branches below the layer.

I made a layer on a crabapple just a couple weeks ago and it's already throwing roots.

Save the big chop and root work till next spring.
I had intended to try another air layer (the last two had roots and died mid summer the next year, too much sun I have been told) but I don’t know if there is a tree worth taking and my space is pretty crowded.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just took a reading of the soil temp at 15 cm deep, it is 19.4° C. I don’t know what is considered warm soil though. Prepping the roots rather then the trunk now makes sense. Thanks. If I can cut the roots back, should I take a shovel and cut around or just dig into the base with my hand and cut the largest individual roots?
Yep 19 is warm enough. I use a straight edged, straight bladed spade (not a shovel) and I file the edge until you could shave with it. It then slices through the roots with ease. Even up to 1 1/2 inches thick. (you might have to jump on it a bit)

Top Bottom