Can you dig it?

Dstar

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
4MAAT is jealous - is was between 24and 29 degrees here this weekend.. But Ian, I am may an offer you cannot refuse in April.... stay tuned....

Rich

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey Rich,

Good to see you here, hope its not too cold and bleak out there. Like I said I don't miss the snow but it just doesn't feel like winter here so its a bit odd. Plus I have to water all year round now too.

Sounds intriguing, whats going on?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks a lot Si. I really had a good time today. I really thank you because you went straight to the dig site from your hospital and met me there. We spent almost 90 minutes just to find a right tree for me!! We had so many choices. Finally we got this one. Actual time to get it out of its house was about 5 minutes!! and thanks again Si because you dug it out for me :). That's why I said I really had a good time today :). Si was too tired and hungry after got a tree for me, so he didn't take one or two for him. We went to eat pho in an Vietnamese restaurant nearby. We knew pho here couldn't be compared to the ones in Little Saigon, but who cared since we were too hungry.
I got home and found a temporary pot for it. It was placed into the soil component: pine bark, akadama, turface, pumice and scattered charcoal, granulated humic acid, peat moss and some catus mix!!! Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0339.jpg
    DSC_0339.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_0341.jpg
    DSC_0341.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0346.jpg
    DSC_0346.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0347.jpg
    DSC_0347.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 122

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, it is Chinese quince.
Bonhe

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If I knew Si was digging for everyone, I would have come today too:D:D It would have been nice to meet you too Bonhe.

Ah well maybe next time.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You've got some beauties there. Great material! Crab apples take FOREVER to gain any taper, even though they may be fast growers.

Where is this nursery?
I am itching to go there this weekend, since I live in your area as well.

Attila,

Sorry I never got back to you on this, I must have skipped over your post. Maybe this will give you a clue:

Attachments

• Si&Vicky.jpg
    Si&Vicky.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 135

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Attila,

Sorry I never got back to you on this, I must have skipped over your post. Maybe this will give you a clue:

Thanks Ian. I appreciate it.
I just came back this morning from the place, I got a crab and a quince, probably the biggest trunks I could find. I wasn't really looking for the largest ones, since the shape to me is more important, but it just happened that the biggest one had a great shape as well. The lady of the house was very generous, I actually paid her much more than what she asked for, since the trees I dug (actually the workers dug them for me) were rather large. I told her to consider it as a tip, for great service. She was very gratious about it.

It's a fabulous place, there is so much stuff there. The good news is that there is plenty of stock growing in the ground, and plenty of field-grown material for all of us, years to come. The trees in the ground look very vigorous, they will probably add at least one inch to the nebari every year. I will be probably going back there year after year. I don't buy quantity anymore, since I have so much stuff already, but I love to dig a couple every year.

I am looking forward to work with the material I got. I cut them back hard, and planted them in those large Italian clay pots. The crab apple has a little buldge on one side, due to the graft, so I will do some carving there to create a scar tissue that will hide the graft mark.
The quince will also need some carving to improve a slight reverse taper at one section of the trunk.

But I see them as great potential (nice movement and spectacular nebari), and in 4-5 years, bonsai that is ready to be shown, probably a foot and a half tall. It's nice to know that I don't need to spend any more time fattening the trunk, and just focus on design issues.
(BTW, this is a great time to dig and re-plant, since the trees must love this rainy weather and moist air)
Thanks again,

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This reminds me that the after this rainy week is over, it will be the beginning of the season for collecting our California junipers.
I got a brand new Toyota pick-up truck for off-road use, so if any of you have a collecting expedition in mind, and would like some company or help, shoot me a PM.

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Attila,

Ha, Ha, so this is where you guys go..... mmmm nice, yeah Vicky is such a nice lady, they have some great quality established bonsais, but the real gems are laying on the floor, takes a while to go thru the whole place, she even helped me pick up my first bonsai a couple of years ago.

ianb,SI,Attila,

Have any of you been on San Gabriel Nursery before? LOTS of good stuff there too

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha, Ha, so this is where you guys go..... mmmm nice, yeah Vicky is such a nice lady, they have some great quality established bonsais, but the real gems are laying on the floor, takes a while to go thru the whole place, she even helped me pick up my first bonsai a couple of years ago.

ianb,SI,Attila,

Have any of you been on San Gabriel Nursery before? LOTS of good stuff there too

Yeah, I go there to buy my bonsai supplies, it's the closest to me.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Then I tackled potting up the crab apple, shortened the large roots by a lot and cut back the top. There are still a couple of large branches that need to go but I think I'll let it go for now.

Got a bit of sunburn (75 F and sunny last weekend - this is weird, I'm starting to miss winter - not really) and a hell of a backache but it was worth it.
Just a little follow up to update the progress on these trees as of this spring. Here's the apple now

P1015186.JPGP1015187.JPGP1015188.JPGP1015189.JPGP1015190.JPG

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here is the quince I picked out just dug and potted. I didn't get any shots of the nice one Si picked out, maybe he can add them here.
...and the quince slowly building branches, top few inches will go this year and I'll start building the crown.

Attachments

• P1015145.JPG
    P1015145.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 49

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Quince is loaded with new buds, even on the trunk

Attachments

• P1015153.jpg
    P1015153.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 45

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know where you went :) I just picked up some of those nice Chinese pots that she bought a full container load of... She said the guy is going out of business and those are probably the last she will be able to get.

She is pretty funny. I was asking her about her shimpaku and why we don't see any larger specimens. I started to say something about my shimpaku and she cut me off. "I don't want to hear about your trees." LOL. Can't fault her for a lack of honesty :)

Have you ever gotten a bloom off that quince?

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
All alive and well I see. Well done Ian! Although that colander is a shame for such a nice tree. ;)

Nice old thread! Forgot all about these. All of mine are doing ok too. Here's what one of my Chinese quince looked like last month before I chopped it back hard again. It was over 8 ft tall. Will submit some pics of my repotted trees in the morning.
image.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crab gets a deleted word.

Quince gets another.

Beautiful!

Sorce

Top Bottom