Can you guys help me identify my trees?

Reaction score
I received a bonsai kit as a birthday gift not long ago but i have no idea what seeds were in the kit. I have had loads of little sprouts, can anyone identify them or is it to early to tell?
Thanks in advance heres the photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 46

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmmm.. I’m not great at IDing seedlings at THIS particular stage of development. I could tell you what they AREN’T but that isn’t very helpful... someone will be able to give you a hand. :)

In one of the pictures the emerging “true leaves”.. the serration and placement in coordination with the “baby leaves” reminds me of Cannabis Sativa which (in high school) I grew in a cleaned out/repurposed cistern... but it has been a while.

The aforementioned true leaves ALSO resemble another specie that fails to fall from the tip of my tongue.

Sorry that I could not be of more assistance.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All those bonsai kits sell the same four species that no one actually uses for bonsai. Pinus aristata, jacaranda, delonix regia, and picea abies. Should be easy to figure out once they get bigger.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to quit my job and devote every hour of every day hunting down the people who are responsible for all of these seed kits. Once I find them, I'm going to pants them in front of their friends.

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All those bonsai kits sell the same four species that no one actually uses for bonsai. Pinus aristata, jacaranda, delonix regia, and picea abies. Should be easy to figure out once they get bigger.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to quit my job and devote every hour of every day hunting down the people who are responsible for all of these seed kits. Once I find them, I'm going to pants them in front of their friends.
Why stop there? What about the roadside bonsai dealers selling people failure in the form of indoor junipers?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why stop there? What about the roadside bonsai dealers selling people failure in the form of indoor junipers?
I'm not too offended by those people. You're looking at what you're getting.

But the seed people will slap a picture of a Walter Pall one hundred year old Japanese maple on a box of sugar maple seeds and sell it for $30. They deserve something far worse.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm not too offended by those people. You're looking at what you're getting.

But the seed people will slap a picture of a Walter Pall one hundred year old Japanese maple on a box of sugar maple seeds and sell it for $30. They deserve something far worse.

Totally agree with you , and i still don't see any jin one mine , maybe it 's too soon ...

20200509_181233.jpg

20200509_181721.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Malsai can be usable! My sister bought me a roadside Juniper ~20 years ago after I had taken up the hobby. Here it is after 15 years...
J C 20160910_175643 a.jpg
J C 20160910_175658.jpg
And lately, more evolutionary adjustments...
J C 2020_0413 Edit DSCF0022.JPG
I still haven't learned to wire pretty.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, the road side stands get so many people involved, me included.

Sure the guy tripled its age to make a sale and probably charged double what it was worth, but the species recommendation (Chinese elm) was spot on for a newbie. And it looks totally sweet today.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It'll be a lot easier to identify once the true leaves come out. All I see are cotyledons for the most part... they could be weeds for all we know at this point. Give it a week or two and then we should be able to give a better identification.

I am 100% sure they are not conifers. That should narrow it down!

Top Bottom