Can you help me identify the species of tree?

Ev0151

Seedling
Reaction score
Can anybody help me identify this tree. Bought it blind - seller wasn’t sure what it was.

I was attracted to the aging trunk and nebari.

5AB2365C-5BA5-42C1-A9EC-03CD6A002701.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Your location may give some clue as to the species. It will definitely help people give advice better suited to your specific location. Clock on the icon above your name and edit your user profile so your location appears each time you post - I see that Forsoothe has beaten me to this advice.......

Ev0151

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve updated my profile. I’m in the UK but as we know that doesn’t mean that’s where the tree originated ha.

I was told the tree also flowers if that helps.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve updated my profile. I’m in the UK but as we know that doesn’t mean that’s where the tree originated ha.

Could you take a close-up of the leaf and axillary bud at the base of leaf??

@Orion_metalhead, I thought it was honeysuckle as well. Looking again there appears to be an apical leaf on some of the branches. I believe Lonicera always will have paired leaves. Could be wrong, some of the vines do weird things. For example, I have one and for some reason the first leaves of the year were lobed like a white oak kinda..very strange.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Trumpeted Fanfare in your direction, traveler! Come and frolic amongst the woody-dwarf inhabitants of the Tiny-Forest! ....”root” around a bit... ;)

It certainly appears to resemble the Amur Honeysuckle I run into around here.. but with slight, however distinct differences...

Probably an Honeysuckle NOT grown in Wisconsin. Hahaha!

I believe they are hardy to zone 8...(At least my natives.. they are invasive here. ;) )

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Could you take a close-up of the leaf and axillary bud at the base of leaf??

@Orion_metalhead, I thought it was honeysuckle as well. Looking again there appears to be an apical leaf on some of the branches. I believe Lonicera always will have paired leaves. Could be wrong, some of the vines do weird things. For example, I have one and for some reason the first leaves of the year were lobed like a white oak kinda..very strange.

It’s weird that we all are noticing similar “cross-identication” cues from this plant.

As i stated.. i DO believe Lonicera.. however, the FIRST glance at the stem coloration reminded me off cherry blossom bushes.. interesting.

:)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?

Well aware that trees have been moved all round the world but there are subtle hints that can help in ID.
Your mention that the grower did not know the species hints at an amateur propagator. That in turn hints at unsophisticated propagation which would rule out many hard to grow species and most tropicals and sub- tropicals. Subsequent mention that it is growing outdoors in UK confirms the hardiness. You may now see that location can give clues to help narrow the range of possibilities.

I agree that bark and growth habit look good for honeysuckles. Flowers will be needed to confirm and possibly ID a species.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your plant reminds me a lot of Kolkwitzia amabilis commonly known as beauty bush. Check it out.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a dogwood to me. the one with red stems

Top Bottom