sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I purchased this tree earlier this summer from a woman on Craigslist. She couldn't remember which type of Japanese Maple it was. What do you think it is?

Thanks in advance :)

Attached are pictures of: newly opened leaves; whole tree; mature leaf

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1412.JPG
    IMG_1412.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 118

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2nd pic reminds me of 'butterfly' but the other pics really don't.

I have a variegated one that looks like that now, with green and white leaves, but it's new growth is pink, purple, and green. Mine is 'shiraz' or also called 'gwen's rose delight.'

Last edited:

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My plant identification app is just having those come back as a Japanese Maple and Acer Palmatum.... and they will usually identify the different specie varieties. So not sure.... Something tells me you won't mind spending the money on a plant identifying app :p

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are thousands of named and published & registered with the Royal Botanic Garden at Kew cultivars of Japanese maple. Just as with a pedigree dog, you loose the papers (name tag or provenance) you just have a mutt. If you purchased this tree at ''generic maple'' price, then you came out good. If you paid a premium because it was a named cultivar, unless the seller can get you the name, you are out of luck.

Identifying it from photographs is not considered ''valid'', there are thousands of named cultivars, many cultivars look very similar. Guessing is not good enough to re-tag the tree return to using the ''pedigreed'' name.

Now if I had to guess, this looks like a Matsumurae type of Acer palmatum, possibly it was 'Grandma's Ghost' or 'Mikazuki' or 'Sister Ghost' It could be a number of other cultivars. The dark central vien, and the pale green then the dark outer edge is a similar pattern, many cultivars have this basic pattern.

one reference to see a bewildering number of different varieties is

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Just call it 'Japanese Maple' or Acer palmatum.
The good news is, they all take more or less similar horticulture, and the bonsai techniques used for Japanese maple apply to all Japanese maples. You should have no trouble turning it into an acceptable bonsai.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
possibly it was 'Grandma's Ghost' or 'Mikazuki' or 'Sister Ghost' It could be a number of other cultivars.

It could be hundreds of other cultivars. I think unless the person who gave it to you remembers the name of the cultivar, it will be impossible to name it accurately. I have several trees from cuttings, and depending on the soil, the exposure, fertilizers, etc, they can look and grow very differently, yet they're genetically 100% the same, they're clones. So if a plain species can look different but is the same, for such cultivars, giving a name would be like playing the roulette.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This appears to be one of the cultivars such as 'Higasayama'. There are a couple others with similar variegation/reticulation. 'Edelweiss' is another that comes to mind.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves all look like they are from different plants. The last one doe's look like Sister Ghost. The middle one looks like Butterfly. I can see those two getting a bit mixed up. The first picture does not at all look like the others. Is it possible that the first picture was taken from growth below the graft?

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And a picture of another totally different looking leaf on this tree....and a branch with a mix of leaves.

Attachments

• 59326559-1AF5-4C8E-A9B2-08E763D9CEB4.jpeg
    59326559-1AF5-4C8E-A9B2-08E763D9CEB4.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 43

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It might be 'Ariadne'.

BTW, the solid green leaves might be 'new-growth' leaves. Some cultivars, such as Higasayama, produce ordinary green palmate leaves on new growth that will be replaced by the variety leaf in the next season. Of course, one can remove these new-growth leaves (as in partial defoliation) and get them replaced in the same growing season. On a bonsai scale, this is practical.

Top Bottom