Can you say hedge pruning?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Dang. I’m confused. It took him 15 mins to basically defoliate this. Why would you shear from outside in, if this was the intention?
Why not get inside the tree a bit and just start from where the foliage begins?
And why the 1 glove on his Scissor hand and not the other?

Haha!!!!😃🤷‍♂️ Full of questions.
Tree may look good with new leaves, but Man!, looks pretty ratty now. IMO.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
he didnt defoliate. the tree was just so leggy that the interior growth had gotten shaded, died off or wasnt stimulated at all. by the time he got into the interior there wasnt much active growth.
by hacking it back like this, dormant nodes will be stimulated. its good work. no messin around.
i had to do something similar when i got my hackberry

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
by hacking it back like this, dormant nodes will be stimulated.

It's obviously from a tropical country (Yusuf => muslim name => Indonesia ?). So I don't think we should look at this like we would if the species was a tree from a temperate climate like Europe or the northern parts of America.

There, trees grow all year round. Since he didn't touch the roots I'm pretty sure there were new leaves on the tree one week later. Our "grid of analysis" don't apply there...

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
he didnt defoliate. the tree was just so leggy that the interior growth had gotten shaded, died off or wasnt stimulated at all. by the time he got into the interior there wasnt much active growth.
by hacking it back like this, dormant nodes will be stimulated. its good work. no messin around.
i had to do something similar when i got my hackberry
I see. Yeah I figured it probably looked pretty dang nice after it popped!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's obviously from a tropical country (Yusuf => muslim name => Indonesia ?). So I don't think we should look at this like we would if the species was a tree from a temperate climate like Europe or the northern parts of America.

There, trees grow all year round. Since he didn't touch the roots I'm pretty sure there were new leaves on the tree one week later. Our "grid of analysis" don't apply there...

yeh i see that. the tree got leggy and it would appear he's trying to restore it back. the methods are still pretty much the same. he's hacked it back for the better. the only REAL difference is that they would get more flushes than we do.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
the tree got leggy and it would appear he's trying to restore it back.

Don't you think it's rather a way to let the tree get some strength, then prune it, like, actually, the so-called "hedge-pruning" ?

If you watch his other videos, you'll see he's not a man to let his trees "get leggy" : it was done on purpose in my opinion.

Once again, it's a (semi-)tropical tree in a much warmer and humid environment where we've built our "convictions" about bonsai growing.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
he didnt let the tree get leggy on purpose, its just that it was left to grow for a while and thats what happens on a vigorous tree as you know. interior twigs get shaded out.
although this hackberry was healthy, it has just been left to grow by the prev owner
20190628_062840 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

after i whacked it back
20190627_204429 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

some might think it was defoliated, like the poster above thought the guy in the video did, but no its just that the inner twigs were without any leaves, the hacking back resulted in interior stimulation.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
:)

As many people, as many opinions. but you know, it reminds me of what I did with my Acer buergerianum :

2019:

View attachment 320552
View attachment 320553 View attachment 320554

May 2020 :

View attachment 320555

I think maybe we should ask him.

cool. if was mine i would of been tempted to cut back even harder in some spots.
even the tree in the video needs a lot more work. many branches have no taper and are still too long even after the big reduction, but yes we dont know, it could be a progressive process he's working on. but as you say, in his climate he can get away with more, therefore i might of been more ruthless.

a few years ago, when i was mad about elms, i had this little shohin elm and i messaged Boon on FB on how to get it to look like some of the shohin elms he was sharing on FB. he said that i needed to take back every branch to around 2in. this 2in has always stuck in my head ever since. straight sections of branch longer than 2in never look right imo, just me. if i can i will apply change of direction/taper. it bothers me now if i see these straight sections on other trees. sometimes it works and other times it doesnt, usually it doesnt but sometimes you can wire in movement, but i prefer angular movement where possible.

Last edited:

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was keeping these root suckers to thicken up the base of this curly willow, repeatedly pruning them back to divert resources to the leader.

Over time they have formed a literal hedge. Am i doing it right? 😁

IMG_20200801_095532.jpg

Top Bottom