Candellabra Pine #1

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a collected Ponderosa that is in the candellabra form. I have done nothing to it except bareroot 1/2 of it this early spring and put it into this pot. Pot will change when I bareroot the other 1/2 in the future.

I am 1/2 way thinking about doing the styling contest at AoB or KoB, (which ever one is having the contest) In the non-pro collected catagory.... Not sure if I or the tree is ready to do this though.

Anyways, There is a straight section on the live subtrunk that has tons of deadwood on it. In the final design this will have to be bent to induce movement otherwise it will be boring. I think this tree has excellent "bones" so to speak and will make a good bonsai, not great but a good solid tree.

Here is a picture from each side..... trunk is 5" in diameter and about 15" tall to the foliage and about 30" to the top of the deadwood. Could be off a bit with my guesstamation.....

So, which front would you choose, why and what would you do to the tree. This is a unique style that you don't see everyday so if you don't like it it won't hurt my feelings... :)

Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• 121_2136.JPG
    121_2136.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 121_2137.JPG
    121_2137.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 121_2138.JPG
    121_2138.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 121_2139.JPG
    121_2139.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 34

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Well , I'll take a shot. I like picture 2 as a front simply because it shows off the trunk so well. It also seems to be the only side that shows the flare ( nebari if it wasn't yamadori ) best. Are there actual roots connected to this flare ?

BTW , thanks Jason for the post. It's much easier for us newbies to concentrate on one tree at a time.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like 2 and 3 but it is difficult to phatom the distance perpective from a photo. FWIW I wouldn't be keeping the tall trunk/branch. I would find some way of incorporating it into the deadwood.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Well , I'll take a shot. I like picture 2 as a front simply because it shows off the trunk so well. It also seems to be the only side that shows the flare ( nebari if it wasn't yamadori ) best. Are there actual roots connected to this flare ?
BTW , thanks Jason for the post. It's much easier for us newbies to concentrate on one tree at a time.

Hey Dwight, The problem with this view is then the foliage is going away from you. The main branch everything comes off is about 2" in diameter and the whole top of it is very old deadwood. Trying to get this to bend that much will be nearly impossible unless I carve out the deadwood, kimura style! The twp roots coming out of the left side of the pot in the first photo are actually dead and very old. They are left for now to help stabalize it in the pot and could be part of the overall final design.... or maybe not.

I like 2 and 3 but it is difficult to phatom the distance perpective from a photo. FWIW I wouldn't be keeping the tall trunk/branch. I would find some way of incorporating it into the deadwood.
Hey Rick, The dead spike is actully tied in with the deadwood on the main (only) branch and will in the future be tied in with the shari on the trunk. I think that the best viewing angle will be the first photo.... but we won't be sure of that until it is styled :)

Thanks Jason

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Jason this is a toughie. Tree has great movement and a lot of interest. However I think the key is a different planting angle. The way it is now, the curved part of the trunk, when in front acts like an arm that is shielding itself. In the other pictures where you get a look at the interior with the trunk / arm in the background. The tree is going away from the viewer.

If it were mine (hey, a guy can dream), based on these pictures, I would take photo 3 and lean it down towards the camera. Which I think would rectify three going away from you by putting the foliage on top and exposing more of the tree and movement. I think:)

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
These trees are tough because of the pictures and lack of the 3rd dimension. This tree, is actually too simple for Jason to style for the AOB contest, as it will make a great tree virtually unchanged. He and I argue about the branching to keep, I say the top, he says the long one - but that is semantics. Also, it is hard to tell but the dead wood goes all the way down to the pot on the left (first photo) and there are dead roots. These were exposed in the initial potting and are resting on the pot surface for security. When repotted, these will either go or become a feature in the tree in the other thing we argue about - on a slab (I say yes, he isn't sure).

This isn't his best ponderosa, but it is a good one. Given enough of the 4th dimension (yes Will & Chris, time), it will turn into a unique and very desirable tree...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
AoB ran the North American vs Europe contest, that is over and the judges results will be posted soon.

KoB is currently running the progressive styling contest, there are six short weeks left for entries to be submitted.

What have you got to lose? Enter!

You can always withdraw if it you hack the styling. ;)

Oh, and by the way, you own a bonsai business, you're a professional Jason. :D

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Will

Or if you decide the ongoing work will take too long and make you work on the tree in the worst season possible, thus preserving the health of the tree.

Or if you decide the person running the contest is a...;)

Gee, that does make an instigation nicer, doesn't it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given enough of the 4th dimension (yes Will & Chris, time), it will turn into a unique and very desirable tree...

Hey, how did I get shoved into some esoteric discussion I never even heard of?;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Still an instigation, never-the-less.

Paul is doing a great job on the contest, it is his first time running one and having ran quite a few contests myself, I can tell you, it is a difficult and often thankless job.

Will

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry. It was in jest along with several other posts of Jason's, yours and Will's over the past few days. I'll move the reference to the Bash Our Members thread...:)

Jason doesn't own the business, and I have seen his work. He is clearly an amateur...:D

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How is this size and resolution?

Attachments

• 121_2138a.jpg
    121_2138a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 19

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
How is this size and resolution?

I think it is much better!!! Now, I owe you a few beers so you can tell me what the heck you did... I would imagine it has to do with the program I am using.... MS Picture Manager. I am sure it isn't the best for resizing.....

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or if you decide the ongoing work will take too long and make you work on the tree in the worst season possible, thus preserving the health of the tree.

Oh, I think Paul is a great guy.

Paul is running the contest, you'll have to find another excuse to start yet another meaningless fight, sorry.

Once again you jump into a conversation not involving you and spat out veiled insults and innuendos meant only to incite another forum blowout.

Don't you have a tree to water or something?

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The photo looks much clearer now! Is that shot your perferred "photo front" or is there another angle you like betetr?

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Will

This is what I was referring to, with your little wink to make it seem like all in fun. That's where my comment came from, as you well know.

Sorry, if you want your conversations to be private, I suggest you use PM.

Don't forget to check out my interview with Boon!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I was referring to, with your little wink to make it seem like all in fun. That's where my comment came from, as you well know.

Sorry, if you want your conversations to be private, I suggest you use PM.

Don't forget to check out my interview with Boon!

The words I used and the wink were directed at Jason who stated he was considering entering the contest, they had nothing at all do do with you, believe it or not Chris, except when I am responding to you, I rarely if ever think of you at all. To put it nicely, there are just better things to think about. It may be beyond your ability to comprehend Chris, but not everything here (or anywhere else for that matter) is all about you, certainly not every word I post, unless I am directly responding to you.

I don't expect my conversations here to be private, I post them on a public forum afterall. I don't however expect you to comment and attempt to incite arguments on every single post I make, you really have an unhealthy fixation Chris, it borders on cyber-stalking (look it up) and it is disruptive and frankly, boring. Your history here speaks for itself and has not gone unnoticed.

Interview with Boon? No thanks, I am currently compiling a few in depth interviews at AoB (we have the webs largest collection of such), as well as a few more world class galleries (again the web's largest collection), not to mention working on developing a few more blogs from world class artists for KoB (and also the web's largest collection).

I'm sure the interview is good though, Boon has remarkable talent, I know and respect a couple of his students (one of which is an editor at AoB) as they seem to be actually absorbing his knowledge and are actually creating art. Most are humble and full of grace and have a quite respect for other artists, they make him look good as do their actual results.

...stay tuned for a few profiles and galleries of these top rate students, coming soon.

Will

Last edited:
Top Bottom