Candle crazy JBP

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This thing is TOO vigorous. I usually wait to cut candles....BUT...yikes!

Should I attack them now?

pine candles.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, Mike. It is about how long the growing season is following when they are cut. How big they are is irrelevant (though they can be too small to ever cut in cold climates).

It will be interesting to see if yours reach 5 feet, 6 feet, ..., before it is time. Keep us posted!!!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In the early stages of developing ramification this can happen. Few growing points means all the energy goes to few candles = vigorous candles.
That will change as more and more ramification develops and as you limit growth through decandling and needle pulling.
I agree with just letting these grow this year. You should get masses of new candles after decandling at the proper time.
Decandling early will just allow the new shoots to grow too big to be useful next season.

The only caveat will be if any of these are so vigorous they over thicken any branches. If you think that's a possibility an alternative is to snap (or cut) strong candles in half ( leave some new needles to open) then decandle at the base as usual at the appropriate time. Halving candles will slow growth and limit thickening. You may also get new shoots around the end that's been snapped.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hay!
Good to see the diamond in your rough this season!

My thoughts go to skipping the candle cutting, to build up energy out there, for a later, heavier removal to promote interior branching.

If they get 6ft I want one, fitting to switch these kids with it.

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If this tree is ready to begin building pads instead of bulk, it's time to start energy balancing. For the very long and strong candles at the top of the canopy, I'd go ahead and break them in half now, leaving 1/2 to 1/3 of the needles. Later this summer, de-candle at the regular time.

Top Bottom