Candle pinching jbp age

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
I have grown this jbp from seed. It's about 4 years old. I have watched Ryan Neil's videos on candle pinching . Should this be done on branches of my tree now or only when the trunk is thickened ?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    458.1 KB · Views: 118

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a pretty developed JBP for a tree 4 years old, nice.
To help you a little bit, I think you will find the answers here:
http://www.phutu.com/black-pine-creation/
https://bonsaitonight.com/2013/04/05/developing-young-pines/
...and much more about JBPs in every stage of development from these two blogs.
At this point of development one should start dealing with some basic features of tree design, size, style... where the usable branches are and where are missing. You've got four candles elongating into shoots at the top of your tree. I would select one to keep it intact for growing it as a sacrifice branch. Then pick one or max. two for a new top and side/rear branch. The rest should go.
Looking at your tree I personally would decandle (shoot prune) all shoots but the selected selected sacrifice leader. Find best date for it for your climate.
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2016/07/16/candle-cutting-jbp-time/ ...whoops, three blogs.:)
Try to read more about selective decandling etc. Happy growing.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Actually, this pine is really too young to apply summer candle-cutting techniques on it at all. Start with Eric's blog from above: http://www.phutu.com/black-pine-creation/

These two posts are more about sacrifice and final branches, which is what you need to be working on:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/sacrifice-branches-black-pine/
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/sacrifice-branches-black-pine-part-2/

The good news is, yours looks healthy. I'd make the bends in the trunk a little more severe, though. If you're going to have bends at all, make them count!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Am I a crazy pincher? And the blog instructions look so straightforward, gents.:rolleyes: No reason to deal with a whorl at the top? Good to know. I'll have to submit the pictures of my trees shortly, before any decandling deed done, for your consideration.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Am I a crazy pincher? And the blog instructions look so straightforward, gents.:rolleyes: No reason to deal with a whorl at the top? Good to know. I'll have to submit the pictures of my trees shortly, before any decandling deed done, for your consideration.
It's just it's still too young!

Once you start pinching, candle breaking, and decandling, trunk girth growth stops. I'm assuming you want a fatter trunk, right? Then you have to let it grow!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's just it's still too young!

Once you start pinching, candle breaking, and decandling, trunk girth growth stops. I'm assuming you want a fatter trunk, right? Then you have to let it grow!

Regardless a sacrifice branch let run free?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@petegreg

Peter,

in one of the articles of Bonsai Today on J.B.pines, the author says grow a long tall shoot, in our case it
was 32 inches / 81 cm [ it's in a 10 x 3 inch deep earthenware clay pot { 25 x 8 cm ] ] and cut it down to
around 3 inches in height [ of course you should have shoots and needles below the cut ]

Well, did it some months ago [ after testing on another to see how the wound would dry ------ it sealed in a day ]
now it is re-sprouting and the trunk is about an inch [ 2.5 cm ] and getting ready to shoot again for long
extensions.
Tree might be 4 years from seed.

Some of the J.B.pines from seed [ Japanese seed pack company Dallas Bonsai / Bonsai boy [Amazon ]]
were faster then the others.

Were told at a Bonsai exhibition yesterday, that K is the only person able to grow J.B.pines down
here and -------- the pressure is on for supplies through rooted cuttings -------- meanwhile K made them all
promise to get 20 Caribbean pines and practice before they get any J.B.pines from him.
He also gave soil mix and where to get the earthenware pots [ porous ]
Good Day
Anthony

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@petegreg

Peter,

in one of the articles of Bonsai Today on J.B.pines, the author says grow a long tall shoot, in our case it
was 32 inches / 81 cm [ it's in a 10 x 3 inch deep earthenware clay pot { 25 x 8 cm ] ] and cut it down to
around 3 inches in height [ of course you should have shoots and needles below the cut ]

Well, did it some months ago [ after testing on another to see how the wound would dry ------ it sealed in a day ]
now it is re-sprouting and the trunk is about an inch [ 2.5 cm ] and getting ready to shoot again for long
extensions.
Tree might be 4 years from seed.

Some of the J.B.pines from seed [ Japanese seed pack company Dallas Bonsai / Bonsai boy [Amazon ]]
were faster then the others.

Were told at a Bonsai exhibition yesterday, that K is the only person able to grow J.B.pines down
here and -------- the pressure is on for supplies through rooted cuttings -------- meanwhile K made them all
promise to get 20 Caribbean pines and practice before they get any J.B.pines from him.
He also gave soil mix and where to get the earthenware pots [ porous ]
Good Day
Anthony
That's it, Anthony. They grow here probably a bit slower and I'm not comfortable with chopping their trunks down. And then I tend to preserve and work with what's already grown if there are no other issues. Now it makes sense I hope.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peter,

here is our next stage -

[1] We know that 32 to 36 inches will encourage the trunk to go to an inch.

[2] Take plant out of clay pot and place in a colander. Bring the soil in the grow
trough up to standard and enter the colander.

[3] Transfer the knowledge of the Ficus technique ---------- first branch placement
an attractive position, grow to 36 inches to take trunk to 2 inches.
Allow a new leader going up.
As sifu wrote, point branches up.

Choose branch 2 and 3 and allow to grow.

[3] Observe and get the trunk to 2.5 to 3 inches.

[4] as trunk reaches size, plan on removal from grow trough. Place branches 4, 5, and 6.

Removal, lift out of colander and replace in an earthenware pot. Refine.

Now let us see how long that takes.

If successful, a whole new range of J.B.pines to work on.

Since the better seed is being used, so will the cuttings be rooted, for optimum
growing situations.
Hmm, maybe 3 years.
Good Day
Anthony

*don't you just luv experiments.

As usual the testing will be on the simplest shape to Design.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anthony, when you do step 2, be sure to plant the trunk at an angle. Informal upright is the simplest design, but they look best coming out of the soil at an angle.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Anthony, I'm going to continue in my thread with actual pictures.

Top Bottom