Cannabis Bonsai

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
ah how much things have changed in 10 years!
I never thought I would be able to grow cannabis legally in my lifetime lol
or legally buy it in a store...

For the last 20 years, anyone in my neighborhood who wanted to smoke could just go down to the house at the end of the cul-de-sac where they were more or less openly selling. Now that it is legal, their little operation has closed down and the house is being sold. I voted for legal marijuana in this state - even though I don't smoke - because I wanted it to come out of the backwoods and become a cash crop that could be regulated (and taxed). I can't say I have noticed one bit of difference between when it was illegal, when it was medical, and now that it is legal.

However, back on the subject of this thread, I have never tried to grow any. Though yesterday my contractor mistook one of my Japanese maples for one :) He thought I was quite the rebel :)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For the last 20 years, anyone in my neighborhood who wanted to smoke could just go down to the house at the end of the cul-de-sac where they were more or less openly selling. Now that it is legal, their little operation has closed down and the house is being sold. I voted for legal marijuana in this state - even though I don't smoke - because I wanted it to come out of the backwoods and become a cash crop that could be regulated (and taxed). I can't say I have noticed one bit of difference between when it was illegal, when it was medical, and now that it is legal.

However, back on the subject of this thread, I have never tried to grow any. Though yesterday my contractor mistook one of my Japanese maples for one :) He thought I was quite the rebel :)
I got that a few times with my Vitex until the damn thing up and died.

Random User

Reaction score
I would assume you would have to keep the tree in a vegetative state constantly ubder artificial light. I plan to make a ror cannabis bonsai

For me it's just a bit of a curious factor, most plants that I've seen that have been "harvested", then thrown back into veg, look pretty tattered... I think you'd have to have a particular phenotype to be able to present an acceptable bonsai... and I'd doubt that it would remain that way for more than a short period... but, I could always be wrong... here's to try'n!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For me it's just a bit of a curious factor, most plants that I've seen that have been "harvested", then thrown back into veg, look pretty tattered... I think you'd have to have a particular phenotype to be able to present an acceptable bonsai... and I'd doubt that it would remain that way for more than a short period... but, I could always be wrong... here's to try'n!

When I do "bonsai" searches on Craigslist, often I will get lists of "clones" etc. If I do a Craigslist search on "cannabis" I get over 100 listings looking for investors, or people trying to sell wholesale or retail cannabis operations. I think there is going to be a big shake-out in the business...

Interestingly, however, there are a fair number of plants that might have a similar growth pattern or growth challenge...

Random User

Reaction score
@Bonsai Nut

There is little doubt that the landscape Canada will change dramatically once everything has been hashed out in the Legislation (in Canada) assuming Bill C45 passes. I have been an investor for many years and the one thing that high-risk investors (like myself) love is uncertainty and turmoil... it provides opportunity for quick gains and a lot of stock flipping. The legislation took another step forward yesterday when the Bill was passed in the Senate, so it's still "movin'on"... AND, should offer another round of short rallies provided the markets settle down from Trump's swipe at China yesterday.

There is only one two plants that I regularly grow that would be worse candidates for a bonsai type prospect... one is castor beans, and the other is a kangaroo's foot apple tree. Even if, a person could get a convincing bonsai from a marijuana plant, not only would it only likely last a few short seasons, it probably wouldn't have the desirable traits that one would deem desirable in the smokeable counrtpart, IMHO. If you want great pot-in-a pot, it might not be good pot-in-the-pipe, and vice versa.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Québec we have a new fairly conservative government, and they plan on raising the legal age for pot consumption to 21. This is quite comical, considering drinking alcohol, and smoking cigs is 18. There is still a lot of misconceptions about pot, and the diverse people who consume it. Seems like so many people picture Cheech and Chong, not a Crown prosecutor smoking a joint at happy hour.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In Québec we have a new fairly conservative government, and they plan on raising the legal age for pot consumption to 21. This is quite comical, considering drinking alcohol, and smoking cigs is 18. There is still a lot of misconceptions about pot, and the diverse people who consume it. Seems like so many people picture Cheech and Chong, not a Crown prosecutor smoking a joint at happy hour.
Happy hour is not really supposed to mean happy.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh well, over here we have this grey area that allows us to buy it, but not posses it. Coffeeshops are allowed to sell it, but not to buy it from the growers. We are allowed to grow it, but it's forbidden to grow it. How's that for a system!?

My vote, as well as some 40+% of the votes in my area, landed in the trash. They just 'forgot' to send them to the station. Well.. Not all the votes, only the votes that weren't in favor of the ruling party were forgotten about. I had solid reasons to vote and I have taken my time to read up on every programme. It just didn't matter. To make things worse, the politician overseeing the process locked down the votes, making them inaccessible for the public. So nobody knows how much difference it really made. But the guy ensured us that it didn't make a difference.
So if you do vote, and your vote lands in the trash and you have no way of checking what happened.. Does it matter to even go voting at all? I'm seriously considering withholding from voting next time.

Back on topic: I'm trying to make a cannabonsai.
I found they build better nebari in potting soil. Keep the containers small and you'll find that the plant will reduce in foliage size. I do a clip-n-grow technique; cutting back to a single node and letting them grow again, repeat until ready. High strength light keeps them tiny.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Oh well, over here we have this grey area that allows us to buy it, but not posses it. Coffeeshops are allowed to sell it, but not to buy it from the growers. We are allowed to grow it, but it's forbidden to grow it. How's that for a system!?

My vote, as well as some 40+% of the votes in my area, landed in the trash. They just 'forgot' to send them to the station. Well.. Not all the votes, only the votes that weren't in favor of the ruling party were forgotten about. I had solid reasons to vote and I have taken my time to read up on every programme. It just didn't matter. To make things worse, the politician overseeing the process locked down the votes, making them inaccessible for the public. So nobody knows how much difference it really made. But the guy ensured us that it didn't make a difference.
So if you do vote, and your vote lands in the trash and you have no way of checking what happened.. Does it matter to even go voting at all? I'm seriously considering withholding from voting next time.

Back on topic: I'm trying to make a cannabonsai.
I found they build better nebari in potting soil. Keep the containers small and you'll find that the plant will reduce in foliage size. I do a clip-n-grow technique; cutting back to a single node and letting them grow again, repeat until ready. High strength light keeps them tiny.
Yes it does matter, regardless of what side of the issue you come down on if the powers that be decide there needs to be a vote then the process cannot be trash caned once started else it is meaningless.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes it does matter, regardless of what side of the issue you come down on if the powers that be decide there needs to be a vote then the process cannot be trash caned once started else it is meaningless.
The past 5 referendums have shown that it's meaningless. The people voted 'against', the government did 'for'. To make things up to the people, a party called Democratics 66, the same party that gave us said referendums, banned referendums as a whole.
We're now silenced as a people. And our votes can be trashed with zero consequences.
That's modern day democracy. But we can't complain, an old Dutch saying. We can't complain..

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
Well in New Zealand, yesterday the government instructed the police not to arrest anyone using drugs. not an official decriminalization but more of a turn the blind eye.

I'm not sure how I feel on this yet, I think it's not the governments place to tell the police how to interpret or enforce the law, rather the police should have the freedom to enforce the law. If the government doesn't want drug use to be a crime, then they should pass law to make it so.

I support the decriminalization of drug use, however I do not support drug use at all, it's a cancer to society. But it's best to encourage people not to use it on their own free will, rather than throwing them in jail.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Well in New Zealand, yesterday the government instructed the police not to arrest anyone using drugs. not an official decriminalization but more of a turn the blind eye.

I'm not sure how I feel on this yet, I think it's not the governments place to tell the police how to interpret or enforce the law, rather the police should have the freedom to enforce the law. If the government doesn't want drug use to be a crime, then they should pass law to make it so.

I support the decriminalization of drug use, however I do not support drug use at all, it's a cancer to society. But it's best to encourage people not to use it on their own free will, rather than throwing them in jail.
Either way we are own worst enemies.

Top Bottom