Can't find bonsai soil anywhere

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in NS, Canada. I can't seem to find bonsai soil anywhere. Is there anything cheap I can buy and mix together myself? And if so what should I be looking for?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No hands in soil, shovel or gloves and shovel.

Perlite is too soft, try red lava or similar.
Inorganics should not be able to be crushed by your fingers.

Core of tree- trunk/ root zone - age - root destroys particles makes them smaller - drainage ?

Using Perlite - face mask if dry - Silica danger .

*****Breathe no soil dust.******

Compost should be unrecognisable particles.
Less than 1/3 by ---------- volume.

JUST Moist mix is better than dry mix when repotting. Moist not wet.

Water by hand first until you understand your climate and trees.
Resist the use of a hose.
Good Day
Anthony

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score

An excellent tip and an excellent video. I like Nigel Saunders. He gets down to the nitty gritty without pretention and without being a snob. Not everyone can say that.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I live in NS, Canada. I can't seem to find bonsai soil anywhere. Is there anything cheap I can buy and mix together myself? And if so what should I be looking for?

I might be out of line here, but I don't know anyone who uses "store bought" bonsai soil. Mixing your own brew becomes who you are and a source of subtle pride. Try Nigel Saunders recommendations and then experiment on your own.

I've been using cat sand for a few years now. I swear by it!

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
I might be out of line here, but I don't know anyone who uses "store bought" bonsai soil. Mixing your own brew becomes who you are and a source of subtle pride. Try Nigel Saunders recommendations and then experiment on your own.

I've been using cat sand for a few years now. I swear by it!

Sorry if this is a silly question. But my tree is in dire straights now. I've had it in potting soil since June. It needs to be repotted - although I don't know if it can be done in winter? - because it's dying. Is there anything I can mix up with potting soil to make a suitable mix? I don't know what species it is, but here is a picture from June. (I removed the rocks and moss within a few days of buying it)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a silly question

A late first question maybe!;)

How bout a current pic?
Don't be ashamed, we all kill trees!

You'll get better help with current pics.

I think it's a ......Damn, I can't remember the name.....one of those invasive things HH plays with all the time......
Brew dug one......

Ah...can't remember.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Privet.
Has it been indoors the whole time you've owned it?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry if this is a silly question. But my tree is in dire straights now. I've had it in potting soil since June. It needs to be repotted - although I don't know if it can be done in winter? - because it's dying. Is there anything I can mix up with potting soil to make a suitable mix? I don't know what species it is, but here is a picture from June. (I removed the rocks and moss within a few days of buying it)
And since you don't know what it is its a ligustrum chinensis. Very fast growers, don't repot if it not growing, with my experience these things will grow in anything as long as you let them dry out a little they definitely don't like being wet. I have one that's in a large container to grow out and it's in a commercial cactus mix and it seems to like it a lot.

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
And since you don't know what it is its a ligustrum chinensis. Very fast growers, don't repot if it not growing, with my experience these things will grow in anything as long as you let them dry out a little they definitely don't like being wet. I have one that's in a large container to grow out and it's in a commercial cactus mix and it seems to like it a lot.
Thanks! Do you think it would fare better if I repotted it in a potting soil/ kitty litter mix? (I've heard litter works?)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks! Do you think it would fare better if I repotted it in a potting soil/ kitty litter mix? (I've heard litter works?)
Probably not much it would drain quickly but still be very water retentive, if you were to use kitty litter do some durability tests (soak it in water for a couple days then drain the water and see if it falls apart when you pinch it in between your fingers if it doesn't your good) I would also do just a straight mix of kitty litter, the main thing about bonsai soil is air movement that way the roots have oxygen but if you mixed in kitty litter the small particles would fill in those very important air spaces the roots need to breathe

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score

Yes, I suggest pure kitty sand - no organic soil at all. The question of whether to pot it now rather than later: If you're worried about re-poting while it is dormant then I suggest that you plant the whole thing (with the complete root ball) into a larger pot surrounded by kitty sand. Once the plant enters its growing period then you can clean off the organic soil and re-pot it in pure kitty sand. And when it improves in health you can then feed it normally. When the plant is completely healthy (by the following year) you can decide if you want to continue using only kitty sand, a mixture of kitty sand and organic, or back to what you are using now.

Ps. Don't just purchase any kitty sand at all. Better to use peterbone's recommendation link.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Part or most of the problem with this trees health. It needs or needed to be outside the whole time.
If you use cat litter make sure it is made of Diatomaceous earth not clay.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Part or most of the problem with this trees health. It needs or needed to be outside the whole time.
If you use cat litter make sure it is made of Diatomaceous earth not clay.
These guys are subtropical, probably wouldn't do well outside in Canada in December.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can go through finding a cat litter or oil dry product that will work from Canada, I would guess, after eliminating 20 from research at home, you'll still have about 15 to buy or otherwise obtain, and test....which could be inaccurate.

Or....ask our Canadiens what they use....;)

But with one plant.....the cactus soil, maybe with some moose hair amendments?...lol....would be my choice!

Good Growing!

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
You can go through finding a cat litter or oil dry product that will work from Canada, I would guess, after eliminating 20 from research at home, you'll still have about 15 to buy or otherwise obtain, and test....which could be inaccurate.

Or....ask our Canadiens what they use....;)

But with one plant.....the cactus soil, maybe with some moose hair amendments?...lol....would be my choice!

Good Growing!

Sorce

The link Peterbone provided is trustworthy. Here it is starting from page one --- including most countries:
http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

Top Bottom