Can't Find Them! Need Them!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As you can see I am in the SE in North Carolina. For several years I have used 'Natures Helper' a soil conditioner from Garick. The pine chunks when sifted are just right for my soil mix. It has always been available from Home Depot.

But this year I can find it on the web sites for any of the dozens of stores around me. Searching on line brings up all kind of unusable stuff. Does anyone know what happened to 'Natures Helper'? Anyone have a suitable substitute available at HD or Lowes or ?

thanks folks your the best.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I cant help you find it but I am curious what your soil mix is and how long you have used it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As you can see I am in the SE in North Carolina. For several years I have used 'Natures Helper' a soil conditioner from Garick. The pine chunks when sifted are just right for my soil mix. It has always been available from Home Depot.

But this year I can find it on the web sites for any of the dozens of stores around me. Searching on line brings up all kind of unusable stuff. Does anyone know what happened to 'Natures Helper'? Anyone have a suitable substitute available at HD or Lowes or ?

thanks folks your the best.
Maybe you should take this as a signal that it's time to change to an all inorganic bonsai mix!!

I believe there is an expression for this:

"God works in mysterious ways".

Reaction score
Maybe you should take this as a signal that it's time to change to an all inorganic bonsai mix!!

I believe there is an expression for this:

"God works in mysterious ways".
Hi!
I'm new to the forum. I'm in Southern Maryland, originally from Argentina. I'm working on Ombus, but mainly Trident Maples.
I use to buy a good fine pine bark product (2hs drive from home) from "Golden Trophy" but they don't sell it anymore. I would love to go to a 100% inorganic mix!
I started about five years ago from seeds and one year old plants. So I have a couple hundred trees growing in big boxes and quite a few growing in the ground. It will take a lot of inorganic mix but i'm planning on buying bulk quantities. I'm ordering a pallet full of pumice, I can get crushed granite locally and I can also get Turfice. What do you recommend I use? Thank you so much!!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beam Clay sells lava rock. Scoria.

My basic mix is equal parts akadama, pumice, and lava.

Buying pallets is the cheapest way to go. I don't know where you could get a pallet of akadama. Folks in California do import containers of the stuff. Contact the California nurseries and see if they have enough to sell you a pallet, or maybe they can direct you to a wholesaler.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi!
I'm new to the forum. I'm in Southern Maryland, originally from Argentina. I'm working on Ombus, but mainly Trident Maples.
I use to buy a good fine pine bark product (2hs drive from home) from "Golden Trophy" but they don't sell it anymore. I would love to go to a 100% inorganic mix!
I started about five years ago from seeds and one year old plants. So I have a couple hundred trees growing in big boxes and quite a few growing in the ground. It will take a lot of inorganic mix but i'm planning on buying bulk quantities. I'm ordering a pallet full of pumice, I can get crushed granite locally and I can also get Turfice. What do you recommend I use? Thank you so much!!!

On the east coast you might try Beam Clay. They're in New Jersey - their lava rock is good quality, the right size, and they sell in bulk.

http://www.beamclay.com/13 - Bonsai.pdf

Top Bottom