Can't live without this bonsai book...

CovertNeo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Through my first year learning about bonsai, I've managed to gather quite the collection of bonsai books. Most have served their purpose well as I began to learn about Bonsai. They provide the basics and beautiful pictures to awe over and inspire. At the moment, my favorite is "The Living Art of Bonsai: Principles & Techniques of Cultivation & Propagation" by Amy Liang. This one goes a little further than the basics.

I'm looking for your recommendations on the best bonsai books for the intermediate to advanced practice of bonsai. If I had to guess, I would have to start diving into books devoted soley to more specific topics or species of bonsai. You tell me though.

What is your favorite bonsai book that you just can't live without? What are your recommended reads going beyond the basics and dive into the intricate details of bonsai development?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Books are nice to own...

I don't think the best ones have been written yet.

Now Blogs, a good Blog ups a lot of info.
Current, up to date, mostly photographed info.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Deborah R. Koreshoff "Bonsai" best all around book I have. Of course some of the soil info is out of date, but the rest is good. Not as inspirational as Amy's book, or some others, but good for learning.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Peter Warren has a great book published by DK, called simply "Bonsai." It's one of the more recent books on bonsai. I have this book and it has a lot of great tips.

As BVF mentioned above, getting some Kokufu catalogs will give you a lot of inspiration, and keep you up to date on how the Japanese are styling their trees these days.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CLASSICAL-BONSAI-ART-COVER.jpg

Top Bottom