Can't wait for spring!

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was bored this morning and since this isn't the optimal time to be working on trees I decided to see if I could harvest moss from part of my yard. I've got a 10x10 spot that won't grow grass but I always have moss. The tall tree is likely going in the ground this week but I still wanted to play around. If I do plant it I'll move the moss to something else.

Attachments

• IMG_20201115_130846686.jpg
    IMG_20201115_130846686.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20201115_130844103.jpg
    IMG_20201115_130844103.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 74

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
After 40 years of landscaping and nursery work, I adore fall and winter. Come February I will become anxious for spring.
I'm just now starting to get more comfortable and more knowledge. Plus I want to be In on a few of the contests. That means I want to get to work. Plus I want to make sure my Japanese maple in that picture survives.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
After 40 years of landscaping and nursery work, I adore fall and winter. Come February I will become anxious for spring.
I'm in central PA and we had 80s one day and then 30 the next. Like the rest of this year the weather has gone completely nuts. I really didn't do anything in the fall with the trees. I was busy building a deck and renovating my lawn. Plus I didn't think there was much I could do later summer.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is always something you can do.... fall is great for wiring conifers.

In winter i look for pots and materials for spring.

In spring chaos....

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There is always something you can do.... fall is great for wiring conifers.

In winter i look for pots and materials for spring.

In spring chaos....
I was debating wiring a new CBS but I read it was best not to do much to it within 6 months of a repot. I would like to cut it back some and wire but don't want to risk the tree. I saw it a nursery and it had a fairly interesting trunk so I snatched it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_102719008.jpg
    IMG_20201109_102719008.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20201105_154807897.jpg
    IMG_20201105_154807897.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 39

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think that it's ok to wire depending on whether the tree shows signs that it has fully recovered after a repot. Light wiring shouldn't be a HUGE issue but if you're not in a rush, no reason to do more damage to the tree. For conifers, because they tend to be less vigorous with their root growth - with the exception of perhaps junipers - the basic rule of letting the tree sit for a full season before doing more work tends to be a solid safe bet. It's unlikely you would be repotting again after only a year with most conifers.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think that it's ok to wire depending on whether the tree shows signs that it has fully recovered after a repot. Light wiring shouldn't be a HUGE issue but if you're not in a rush, no reason to do more damage to the tree. For conifers, because they tend to be less vigorous with their root growth - with the exception of perhaps junipers - the basic rule of letting the tree sit for a full season before doing more work tends to be a solid safe bet. It's unlikely you would be repotting again after only a year with most conifers.
While I know it needs work and time to develop, I feel like I can make this look like something the soonest of my trees. The trunk has movement in every direction ( hard to tell from the photo) decent taper and wide base so I really wanted to thin it out harder but I noticed she was bleeding and I don't want to sacrifice my chance to pot in the spring. I also only had aluminum, not must cooper. Need to make a run for supplies.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I haven't decided on how to do the apex yet. Stuck between leaving it or jin I honestly like CBS done both ways.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As always hate Fall and Winter only made worse by accursed chinese plague. Come on SPRING!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't decided on how to do the apex yet. Stuck between leaving it or jin I honestly like CBS done both ways.
Wiring needs not ALL be done at one time. Often inspiration is just for one part of tree. See First Branch Bonsai (fakebook) page where will be found several unusual Colorado Spruce worked by Todd Schlafer.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Can't wait for all the leaves to fall off my deciduous trees, my Zelkova and Hackberry are still pretty green.

maybe you havnt discovered the beauty of autumn, after the colours i look forward to the naked silhoettes. there is a lot to do, deciduous trees need tidying and many wire during this period, weed pots, clean pots, carve, chop and i slip and repot too in my location. many wire conifers during this period.
at this time of year we see a lot of threads of this nature, folk bored dont know what to do i think many folk just use winter as an excuse not to do anything with their trees. for many serious enthusiasts worldwide, winter is one of the busiest times.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Winter is busy here.....repot time for pines and fruit trees, mind you the fruit trees are in cold greenhouses and the pines are thawed for two or three days before they can be repotted. Hahaha In Korea and Japan winter is a busy season.

Top Bottom