Canyon Live Oak 1

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Picked up this one from a favorite native plant grower in Southern California. It was labeled as Quercus chrysolepis, Canyon Live Oak, and looks similar to my Quercus agrifolia (Coast Live Oak) but for leaves that are about half the size of the Coast Oak. The leaves on the Canyon Oak are more gray, too.

EDD7D3BE-E09D-4EE0-8EE5-CF732AA0DB5D.jpeg

I performed a chop to the tree before bringing it home in order to fit it in my car. It’s in a 5-gallon planter.

As you might deduce from the thread title, I ended up getting more than one of these. The other will be easier to begin refining, as its growth pattern already resembles an old tree in miniature. This one, however, has a very straight trunk that doesn’t resemble the oaks that I am accustomed to seeing every day here in Orange County, CA.

I’m considering notching, v-cutting, or kerfing into the trunk as illustrated below to get some movement. There are a couple posts here that have been informative: one being V-notching made easy and the other Abrupt re-direction of branches.
9EDB5599-4EF3-40BE-B052-CFF3EAF472B0.jpeg

I would appreciate any thoughts you have about the methods that I am considering, or alternatively, other ideas for this tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Or I could go for a structure like this oak without using any of the above techniques ...

View attachment 288242
I feel sorry for this Oak, struggling and reaching for light while every year it got forced into the shadows of the other trees.

Very interesting design style I would of loved to see that tree at its peak.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Picked up this one from a favorite native plant grower in Southern California. It was labeled as Quercus chrysolepis, Canyon Live Oak, and looks similar to my Quercus agrifolia (Coast Live Oak) but for leaves that are about half the size of the Coast Oak. The leaves on the Canyon Oak are more gray, too.

View attachment 288230

I performed a chop to the tree before bringing it home in order to fit it in my car. It’s in a 5-gallon planter.

As you might deduce from the thread title, I ended up getting more than one of these. The other will be easier to begin refining, as its growth pattern already resembles an old tree in miniature. This one, however, has a very straight trunk that doesn’t resemble the oaks that I am accustomed to seeing every day here in Orange County, CA.

I’m considering notching, v-cutting, or kerfing into the trunk as illustrated below to get some movement. There are a couple posts here that have been informative: one being V-notching made easy and the other Abrupt re-direction of branches.
View attachment 288231

I would appreciate any thoughts you have about the methods that I am considering, or alternatively, other ideas for this tree.
Cool looking oak! Your first set of bar branches, one should be cut as well.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very excited to see what you can do with this! Where I'm at these are everywhere. Also Quercus chrysolepis 'vaccinifolia', a diminutive variety with even smaller leaves. Commonly named huckleberry oak. I'm planning to collect some soon. Surprised to see them so far south, I've been wondering how they would do in other areas. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to following your progress.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 288230

View attachment 288231

Had wondered at what would be done to bend trunk. Had thought along same lines and look forward to see results🤪. Trees begin to green/wonderful Spring beckons.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
would appreciate any thoughts you have about the methods that I am considering,

That whole notch and bend is a highly risky technique they use to make a $50k tree $60k with one branch hiding the scar.

It's not a go-to for creating new stock.

I like your second option.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plus.....Every oak I see has a dead straight trunk and wild branches.
Quite opposite of what they say, match the branches to the trunk. Correct since it's nature, so go for it.

Sorce

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’ll heed @sorce ’s advice and just go with a simpler approach. The beauty of oaks is they’re so incredibly variable, even ones that are the same species.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Today was the day ...

Inspiration on the left, a marked-up picture of what I plan to do on the right:
9B6F4013-9AC8-48DF-9B9D-09BF61A5A47B.jpeg

My wife loves when I do stuff like this inside the house:
45902980-590F-4187-B1D4-2E7468ED45C3.jpeg

Chop, chop:
A03D0ECA-263B-4F1B-A1AF-9193FF4C48E7.jpeg

Used foil tape for the first time on the cuts:
65073B00-A5CA-401C-B926-ECAA6F39C286.jpeg
Shiny:
2E9F47DC-BE7B-4DFD-AAFF-C40FCD3F551E.jpeg
2E9F47DC-BE7B-4DFD-AAFF-C40FCD3F551E.jpeg

Probably overkill on this little branch, but oh, well:
F45E11C9-8174-448C-9E6A-8360F8492749.jpeg

Carnage:
AC37131D-A16F-410E-8E97-4898FB41F352.jpeg

Time to wire ...

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmmmmmmm ... need to bend that left-most branch up a bit.

For now I just need to get the thinner branches caught up with the thicker ones, so I’ll keep the thicker ones from running by trimming new growth, and will let the thinner ones grow unrestricted for a while.

Last edited:

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the first I have read about using aquarium tubing ... is that a ’thing’ or did you invent it? Seems like a perfect idea for certain circumstances.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is the first I have read about using aquarium tubing ... is that a ’thing’ or did you invent it? Seems like a perfect idea for certain circumstances.

I think I’ve seen it done before. If it means another month before wire bite, then it’s worth it to me.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Believe maybe saw on Mirai Live that some wire scarring on Oak to be good as this advances onset of rough bark. Personally trying this and so far seems to work:eek:. Problem of boring straight trunk remains. Even if many Oak straight, most interesting ones are not.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using it for many years, especially on guy wires. But I am an aquarium nut.

Top Bottom