Cape Honeysuckle

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whacked this one down from about 3 feet. It has a great trunk with a lot of potential. Kinda of on the fringe of the bonsai world but I enjoy them and they grow well in AZ. With a little summer/winter protection.20180204_125106.jpg
20180204_125408.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
looks interesting, I had to look it up. Tecoma capensis is related to Catalpa and Campsis, Campsis radicans is our North American native trumpet creeper, which is a woody vine and I have seen used as bonsai on occasion.

Once I looked it up, I realized I've seen these all over Florida as a street tree or a shrub, they were in bloom in Feb-March in Sarasota area. Lovely. This should make an attractive medium to larger size bonsai. Because of the somewhat coarse branching pattern, I would avoid small size bonsai. They definitely like a lot of sun.

Keep us posted.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20180210_154746.jpg
Realy taking off nicely. I cut this back pretty severely last month...anyone have a suggestion about when to repot?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your climate is beastly hot, I would imagine you would want to repot while the tree is in active growth, but at least 8 to 10 weeks before it gets so hot that everything goes summer dormant. It is probably also possible, maybe even preferable to repot late summer, after weather starts to cool off a little and landscape trees and shrubs start to grow more actively. But if it is leafless and dormant, I would not repot the tree. Check with local bonsai society members as to when they repot.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Leo I think your recomendation to repot end of summer is wise! I have 3 of these in my yard as landscape and they can burn in summer heat. No need to be in a hurry anyway! Thanks for advice much appreciated!

Top Bottom