Carambola trunk chop

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a Carambola about 7 ft tall that I plan to trunk chop. I took it inside in the winter and the leaves have all dropped. The tree is in dormancy. Should I do the trunk chop now and seal the cut just like pruning the outside trees in winter? Or should I wait til spring then do the chop. It doesn't matter much one way or the other. I'm just curious.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a Carambola about 7 ft tall that I plan to trunk chop. I took it inside in the winter and the leaves have all dropped. The tree is in dormancy. Should I do the trunk chop now and seal the cut just like pruning the outside trees in winter? Or should I wait til spring then do the chop. It doesn't matter much one way or the other. I'm just curious.
I don’t know as far as the trunk chop goes, but I’ve wanted to grow carambola for some time now.. does it make fruit? Where did you acquire it? Pictures always make for a better thread as well..

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I got this from a nursery in Houston. It had lots of fruits on it. I know I will put it in a large training pot in the spring. I grew up with these so I know they will back bud easily. This tree is too tall for my winter storage spot. It's 1 3/4 inch at the base now.
20181208_095305.jpg20181208_101536.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That’s super cool, I’m slightly jealous. It looks like it’s grafted so I’m curious if you’re trying to grow this tree for fruit or for bonsai purposes?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I like the Christmas cookie tin/pot. Very festive for the season ;).

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That’s super cool, I’m slightly jealous. It looks like it’s grafted so I’m curious if you’re trying to grow this tree for fruit or for bonsai purposes?
It is not a graft. These are usually grown from cuttings. I've seen large Carambola bonsai with lots of edible fruits. This cultivar yields excellent tasting fruits so I'm hoping to do that. I will try to propagate the cutting from the trunk chop. I heard it requires a controlled misting environment so it will be a challenge since I don't have a misting system.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is not a graft. These are usually grown from cuttings. I've seen large Carambola bonsai with lots of edible fruits. This cultivar yields excellent tasting fruits so I'm hoping to do that. I will try to propagate the cutting from the trunk chop. I heard it requires a controlled misting environment so it will be a challenge since I don't have a misting system.
Good stuff. I’ve only seen one that you could call bonsai before anyway, and it was a very impressive tree. If you manage to strike the cuttings and decide to let some go just lmk and I’ll take some of your hands

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good stuff. I’ve only seen one that you could call bonsai before anyway, and it was a very impressive tree. If you manage to strike the cuttings and decide to let some go just lmk and I’ll take some of your hands
If I'm successful. Yeah.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've rechecked. There is a chance that my sweet carambola is grafted on to a sour carambola. It matter little. I will proceed with my plan regardless.

Top Bottom