Care after uproot (severe wind storm)

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We just had a flash wind storm roll through where the wind picked up from nothing to creaking trees and hail in seconds. My older maple that I just did a repotting for a few weeks ago was pulled out of the pot, bent wires and all.

Luckily I was watching outside when it happened so I ran over to bring it out of the weather and re-cover the roots in substrate and water it in.

Is there any other care I should be giving it to help keep it from going into stress mode? Or do I treat it like normal and hope to not start seeing leaves falling in a week?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
wondering what im about to find after work...
glad i watered heavily last night. been blowing 35 + all day here

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is why we tie our trees into pots...

admittedly I could have done a better job with how I secured the bottom , I more or less just had the wires bent outward and a pickup test didn’t show the tree moving. when the storm came today the wires unbent as it was yanked out. Where I have my bonsai I virtually get no wind during normal storms. But yes I should have done more when I did my repotting to prevent this from happening

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just replant and water in as you would for repot.
I have had a few where similar has happened (more difficult to tie trees into grow beds) and the trees did not even seem to notice. Even when the roots were out of the pot for a whole day they usually survive provided it was not too hot or dry which is unlikely given that repotting is early spring rather than mid summer.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Best app for tracking weather and wind is “windy”, they also have a website windy.com. It has saved me from several wind storms.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also tie your pots down to the stands. I run a wire up through the bottom holes and the attach the ends through the openings on the slats. Nothing blows them over or off the stands.

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Simply just put it back in the Pot and check for any Injuries that you might want to get rid of (ripped roots etc...)

When you put it down again, you can either heavy it down with Stoneplates or simpyl wire it on the contruction its on, I would go with stones, as we dont reall have super strong winds here that blow over some Trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
admittedly I could have done a better job with how I secured the bottom , I more or less just had the wires bent outward and a pickup test didn’t show the tree moving. when the storm came today the wires unbent as it was yanked out. Where I have my bonsai I virtually get no wind during normal storms. But yes I should have done more when I did my repotting to prevent this from happening

I believe there are just as many circumstances that you wouldn't want a tree tied in as there are why you would want a tree tied in, far as windstorms go anyway.

The only way to fully solve the issue is to tie the pots down too like @Cofga recommended.

But then a limb falls and smashes em....

Sorce

Top Bottom