Care for a stressed juniper from shipping

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bought this juniper online and just got it today. It measures about 25x20 from side to side. The box it was shipped in was 15x12 but worse part is the tree was upside down in the box. They had it in a cut down nursery pot and was wrapped in plastic. The ball wasn't completely dry but it wasn't what I would call damp either. I got a little larger cut down nursery pot took it out of the one it came in then raked the root ball lightly. I put some good bonsai mix in the bottom of the new pot, sprinkled the root ball with growth hormone, sat it in the pot and filled around it with my bonsai soil. Took it outside and gave it a good shower then drenched it with rhizotonic.

So now the question is how should I care for this the next few weeks? It's suppose to rain on and off here for the next week with temps around 75 for the high and 55-60 over night. Should I keep it outside? If so should I let it get raind on or put it where it would be protected from the rain. I have a garage on my house with windows, should I put it in there for a bit and keep it away from the rain and outdoors?

It's a shame because the tree has a good size trunk with good shape to it, would really like for this to bounce back so I can see what I can do with it.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why did you buy it online?

Coulda just got one at a local nursery.
Hard to find one with a good sized trunk with nice shape. I've bought several prebonsai trees online from several different sellers even people from here and have always been happy.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Outside, outside, outside

Did I mention outside?

Morning sun with afternoon shade for a couple of weeks then gradually move to more sun

Rain is fine

Check daily
Water when it needs it

Also, I would do NOTHING to it this year and see how it recovers next spring

Last edited:

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outside, outside, outside

Did I mention outside?

Morning sun with afternoon shade for a couple of weeks then gradually move to more sun

Rain is fine

Check daily
Water when it needs it

Also, I would do NOTHING to it this year and see how it recovers next spring
What is this sun you speak of? It's been so rainy and cloudy we havnt had much sun lately. Guess I'll leave it on my bench and watch for the next clear day so I can move it to the front of the house to get morning sun. Out of the next nine days only have one day that's suppose to be sunny. I had planned on doing nothing this year especially since it looks like they cut off half the root ball at the bottom. The pictures they posted was in a much taller pot. Guessing for shipping? Figure this thing has been through enough this year.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally would complain about the condition I got the tree in. Upside down in a too small of a box, I'D BE PISSED!

Aaron
I've already done that but thanks for the idea. Waiting to see what kind of response I get from them.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thats not shipping damage. Looks to me like it has spider mites-badly. Place a piece of white paper under a branch and tap the top of the branch. All kinds of stuff will fall out, wait a minute and check the little specks if they're moving you have spider mites. Treat with a pesticide labeled for mites and you'll be ok.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bush is still alive but abused. Checking for bugs is great idea. Even in rainy weather ambient natural light, fresh air and rain can do wonders for plants so treat like your baby and should be OK;). Better off you are that weather is not hot and sunny just at this time. Best of fortune.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless Harry Harrington is a master photoshopper.....it should come back with the rhizo....
But it's gonna do some self styling it seems....

Plus one on mites.....
I'd blast it with the hose AM...let it dry all day, and nite spray at night....heavy to get in all that foilage.

Was it upside down? Or the box?

Sorce

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Bouncing around in a box may break a few branches, lost some soil but it would not have caused the discoloration and dead foliage on the interior of the plant. I've seen hundreds of junipers with spider mites and this has them. When you spray be sure to spray the bottom of the foliage. Mites are programed to be on the underside of the foliage. Spraying from above will miss most of them. I would also spray one time per week for three weeks to be sure and get all the eggs that have been laid.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didnt think of mites but I agree it definitely could be the problem with the color of this plant.

I also agree you should treat it, but as I said, do nothing else to this tree besides water until it recovers

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the help and ideas on how to handle the tree. Sprayed it with seven last night but only sprayed the top. Guess I'll wait a week and next time I'll make sure to spray the top and bottom. Going to keep treating it with rhizotonic and hopefully that will help it also. I'll try to update with any changes hopefully all good.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're spraying it.....

The needles Will actually hold the droplets at the outside and not let it get into the deep part of the crotch where they hang out at....

I don't know if it's safe....or possible to "wet" the seven....

Maybe better to just water bucket it for an hour or so....
That foliage is dense.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cover the soil with something when you spray. I use an old towel.

Don't wet the foliage after applying sevin, you'll wash it off

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're spraying it.....

The needles Will actually hold the droplets at the outside and not let it get into the deep part of the crotch where they hang out at....

I don't know if it's safe....or possible to "wet" the seven....

Maybe better to just water bucket it for an hour or so....
That foliage is dense.

Sorce
No doubt sorce I like to get in the deep part of the crotch.

I'll need to figure out how to get to underside because like you said it's pretty thick and hard to get the bottom side well.

When you say water bucket it how would you handle that? Would you wrap the pot with plastic then dunk the top upside down in a bucket? I wouldn't think I could submerge the whole tree in a bucket for an hour could I? Having a hard time picturing how to do this.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess you could go upside down....
But you got some cascading pieces anyway.....

I haven't done it...
But heard people that have....

With, "mites can't swim so they die or float up" ish.

If it is mites...which...it likely is...
It's gonna be a deep crotch either way!

Sorce

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess you could go upside down....
But you got some cascading pieces anyway.....

I haven't done it...
But heard people that have....

With, "mites can't swim so they die or float up" ish.

If it is mites...which...it likely is...
It's gonna be a deep crotch either way!

Sorce
Well I took sorces advice and dunked this tree under water for just over an hour to kill spider mites. I have been using rhizotonic on it and watering like normal and I think it's actually starting to spring back.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom