Care of Sequoiadendron?

Craig.a.c

Sapling
Reaction score
I am a little confused on how to care for my two Sequoiadendrons.
Some sites say not to let them dry out between watering and other sites say the opposite.

I have them in a spot where they get 5 - 6 hours of direct sunlight in the morning. Is that enough or should they get more sunlight?

2 sequoiadendron.jpg

Craig.a.c

Sapling
Reaction score
Does anyone have any care tips for Giant Redwoods????????????????

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two of these, about the same size as yours. One I've had in a container for several years...but I haven't really figured out how to keep it healthy. It's only grown very slowly for me, and keeps losing the lower branches. Last year I bought another one to put in the ground...it was bare-rooted and somewhat weak and didn't really grow last summer, but it seems to have made it through the winter. Should be interesting to see how it does this year.

The only reference I've found regarding using them for bonsai is
http://www.bonsaiempire.com/articles/advanced/giant-sequoia
by Craig Coussins...same initials as your username, is that a coincidence?

Chris

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have sequoia (sequoia giganteum) or redwood (sequoia sempervirens)? There is a difference...

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I've found this site helpful:
http://www.giant-sequoia.com/about-sequoia-trees/giant-sequoia-bonsai-care/
Your trees look healthy on top.
I have two2012-09-27 15.45.55.jpg2012-09-27 15.39.22.jpg
Both for about 2 yrs. These pics were taken early last fall.
The small one is 4 yrs and the large one is around 10-12.
I don't let them dry out. Feed regularly in growing season. Read up on root pruning and repotting.
They get 5-6 hours of sun and seem quite happy. Lots of growth last year.
Good luck!
Best,
Jonathan

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first (larger) tree appears to be coast redwood (sequoia sempervirens), very different than the giant sequoia (sequoiadendron giganteum) in the second photo.

For the record, I have both as well. Obviously the coast redwood needs serious winter protection in my climate, but I've had one for about 5 years now. Hasn't been styled yet, just growing for trunk size. Needs major root work this spring...if spring ever gets here!

Chris

Last edited:

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Sorry Chris, I forgot to point that out. I treat them both the same as far as water, feeding and sun. The Redwood is a little more forgiving to repot. As long as you keep them moist and fed and pruned, they are hard to screw up!
Thanks for noticing,
Jonathan

Top Bottom