Attachments

• 4FB399DF-93BC-4752-9C40-2AB36762365F.jpeg
    4FB399DF-93BC-4752-9C40-2AB36762365F.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 29

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add location to profile. Guessing somewhere in CA. Decent looking starter tree but wrong time to be repotting so good luck keeping alive;).

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
Please add location to profile. Guessing somewhere in CA. Decent looking starter tree but wrong time to be repotting so good luck keeping alive;).
In South Africa . And only will be repotting in Spring ;) just want a basic care sheet regarding Pruning - etc .

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh. OK. UNfortunately never kept any of these. General rule of thumb for Pines is after any repot let grow until in obvious good health at least one year, maybe two. More I do not know.

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In South Africa . And only will be repotting in Spring ;) just want a basic care sheet regarding Pruning - etc .

Hi from NZ,
Almost the only forestry tree used here so very common, that said it can also make an ok bonsai. Much like Japanese Red pine as needles are soft and has the 2 flush as positives. Apparently unfortunately it can revert to juvenile foliage.
I don’t have one as yet worth getting excited about, so apart from repotting in spring and a well drained mix I can’t add much else.
Maybe @Shibui might have a few more insights and actually have a bonsai to show us how they will look as Bonsai.
Charles

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
Hi from NZ,
Almost the only forestry tree used here so very common, that said it can also make an ok bonsai. Much like Japanese Red pine as needles are soft and has the 2 flush as positives. Apparently unfortunately it can revert to juvenile foliage.
I don’t have one as yet worth getting excited about, so apart from repotting in spring and a well drained mix I can’t add much else.
Maybe @Shibui might have a few more insights and actually have a bonsai to show us how they will look as Bonsai.
Charles
Thanks! Yeeeeh also our only forestry tree here :) just thought I’d give it a crack and try .

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks for the heads up Charles but I can't show you any decent radiatas of mine.
Like NZ, radiata is our main softwood forestry species and we have extensive plantings around this area so it definitely grows well in this area. One of the problems is to get good specimens. Selective breeding over the past 50 years has seen the genetics of radiata change to favour a much faster growing upright tree. It can now be difficult to stop them growing straight and tall.
I have collected some from rocky sites where they are naturally dwarfed but those collections have not developed very well, probably because they are considered second class and not given very good locations so they are not doing so well in the nursery.
They do indeed revert to juvenile foliage when pruned.
I have seen some reference to them possibly being single flush species but others feel that they are continually growing. I know they are willing to bud on older bare wood when pruned.

You may find some useful information in this thread from Ausbonsai. It also has some photos of Aussie radiata bonsai: https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=7784&hilit=radiata+care+jow

Top Bottom