Caring for an indoor Old Gold bonsai.

Cloudwalker

Seedling
Reaction score
How much water and what is the ideal temp range (since heaters are running), any recommended books for beginner kiddo? Is 100% indirect light ok?
Thank you. ( ;

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Should be fine in a pot for now, as long as it has holes. If water can pool on the bottom, a free draining soil isn't worth much of course ;-)

Cloudwalker

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, it actually didn't come in a pot but rather has this type of (decorative, as you can see in pic) netting in place of one. It drains freely. Is that better for outside, no pot or dish below? Does it need more protection? I really appreciate the info you're sharing with me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may need some covering over that net though, if just to keep things from digging into the side of it.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Conifers belong outside...I've not known one personally who has had success with indoors. There was "one man" who had success...over a multitude of failures. The percentage for indoors is so low for success...that you need to get this outside to acclimate. Where did it come from? You're in North Carolina...so a mild winter. It will do fine outside.

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I know a conifer that grows very well indoors, the Norway Spruce. Ive seen these as houseplants live for years in a dim room that is only infrequently lit by a 40w incandescent bulb. They sell these at the grocery stores around the holidays as a living x-mas tree.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I know a conifer that grows very well indoors, the Norway Spruce. Ive seen these as houseplants live for years in a dim room that is only infrequently lit by a 40w incandescent bulb. They sell these at the grocery stores around the holidays as a living x-mas tree.
Pretty sure those aren't Norway Spruce. You're probably thinking of the cheap Norfolk Island Pines...

Top Bottom