Caring for shari

USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg
This juniper was purchased at a club aution and has been with me for about 5 years. In that time, I've noticed the shari slowly changing. The cracks are getting deeper and the corner is separating. The wood feels solid, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I've heard that lime sulfur has little protective power. Should I be adding some kind of oil or resin?

Dav4

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7b
Natural aging deadwood is the best, and that's what you have there. Some people would suggest a periodic application of lime sulfur to lightly preserve and bleach the wood. Honestly, the lime sulfur won't really preserve anything, and I prefer the muted greys of natural deadwood anyway. I will apply a 1/2 strength application of PC petrifier every few years, which is an actual wood hardener, which will help to protect the wood from decay.

USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 141454 View attachment 141455
This juniper was purchased at a club aution and has been with me for about 5 years. In that time, I've noticed the shari slowly changing. The cracks are getting deeper and the corner is separating. The wood feels solid, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I've heard that lime sulfur has little protective power. Should I be adding some kind of oil or resin?
Ryan Neil said he uses Smith's Penetrating Epoxy to protect the deadwood on his trees.