Caring for your pot

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw a video today of a bonsai master pruning a tree. When he was done he used what looked like a stone of some sort to clean the edge and outside of the pot. I think he said it was an “emory” stone. How do you treat your pots? Is there an oil for the unglazed ones? Is there a stone that you use?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve applied oil to unglazed pots prior to showing, and I’ve periodically applied oil to all my pots as a means to improve the development of patina and prevent calcium deposits. That, along with a periodic wipe down with a wet rag and me and my pots are good.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of oil? I found a video that said chamomile oil or WD-40, and it wasn’t an Emory stone, it was emory rubber?? I have no idea what that is.

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How much does he charge for that service?
Is it pay by the hour or by the pot?
Does he make house calls?
Is satisfaction guaranteed?
Honestly, @Adair M is pretty careless with it. He pretty much let anyone borrow it at the ABS show last year and I think it went missing for 24 hours or so. I think he might keep a spare in the Tesla, though.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks, though those are sanding blocks and sharpening blocks. Not sure that’s what he was using to clean pots.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I only "clean" my pots with water +/- some soap and a cloth. Some have mineral deposits on them from years of use and I'm not going to do much about that. Applying oil prior to a show will darken the pot and make the deposits less visible. Also, routinely oiling the pots will hopefully prevent further buildup.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That, along with a periodic wipe down with a wet rag and me and my pots are good.

Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic eraser pads for calcium removal? I added some to an order yesterday to try as an alternative to cloth. Thinking I will try one with vinegar, one with soap, and one with oil on some clay pots that look pretty rough.

Grimmy

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I only "clean" my pots with water +/- some soap and a cloth. Some have mineral deposits on them from years of use and I'm not going to do much about that. Applying oil prior to a show will darken the pot and make the deposits less visible. Also, routinely oiling the pots will hopefully prevent further buildup.
This^
I’ve tried most everything, including burying a pot in the ground for a year, since that seemed to be a frequent recommendation made without any accompanying experience. Instead of Creanmate, I tried a Sandflex block; same thing. It will work, but could lead to some scratching of the glaze, and definitely will remove any patina. Read here:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/removing-calcium-deposits-from-pots/

Vindeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CBC3B882-325D-47CA-BAE3-7C99FB5B7FF7.jpeg
I saw a video today of a bonsai master pruning a tree. When he was done he used what looked like a stone of some sort to clean the edge and outside of the pot. I think he said it was an “emory” stone. How do you treat your pots? Is there an oil for the unglazed ones? Is there a stone that you use?
This is the oil I use on my unglazed pots works real well.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've used those tool cleaning blocks with decent results on pots that had some bad calcium buildup. Watered the surface and sanded gently. After that I have done maintenance with an oil rag, and that has kept the deposits from reforming, and allowed the patina to rebuild. Don't use this option on a really great old pot.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Honestly, @Adair M is pretty careless with it. He pretty much let anyone borrow it at the ABS show last year and I think it went missing for 24 hours or so. I think he might keep a spare in the Tesla, though.
At the Shohin show, Kathy Shaner asked to borrow my nut sack, and I lost count of how many times she used it! Word must have got around that it works pretty good, because at the Silohette Show, Tyler Sherrod (who has styled a Kokofu Prize tree), wanted to use it. I told him it had petered out, but might still do the job. It did, and when he returned it he said it was a “pretty worn” old nut sack! It becomes a problem when the sac gets so thin the nuts start to fall out! You sometimes can extend the life of a worn out sac by rubbing some oil on it, but that gets kinda messy. After a while the old nut sack just gets too mushy to mess with and you have to go find a new sack with fresh firm nuts!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the Shohin show, Kathy Shaner asked to borrow my nut sack, and I lost count of how many times she used it! Word must have got around that it works pretty good, because at the Silohette Show, Tyler Sherrod (who has styled a Kokofu Prize tree), wanted to use it. I told him it had petered out, but might still do the job. It did, and when he returned it he said it was a “pretty worn” old nut sack! It becomes a problem when the sac gets so thin the nuts start to fall out! You sometimes can extend the life of a worn out sac by rubbing some oil on it, but that gets kinda messy. After a while the old nut sack just gets too mushy to mess with and you have to go find a new sack with fresh firm nuts!
So much to work with here!
I'm just going to let this one alone.
What a wordsmith.
I bow to your use of puns and innuendo.

Top Bottom