Carmona Macrophylla and Myrtle problems

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi
Can any of you nutters help I have a sick 10yr old Carmona Macrophylla it grows new leaves which turn brown wither and die
I have checked the watering and thats ok
I keep it in the Bathroom near a East facing window no Draughts and good light Temp daytime aprox 20centigrade and at Night when the heating goes off aprox 5centigrade
I understand that these trees are evergreen Sub tropical from what I read on the web any help or sugestions would be most helpfull

I also have a Myrtle in the shed with good light but the temp gets down to 0 Centigrade at night and about 3 degrees in the daytime is there any problem with these conditions

Many thanks and a Happy new year to you all

Barry
England Zone8

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep it in the Bathroom near a East facing window no Draughts and good light Temp daytime aprox 20centigrade and at Night when the heating goes off aprox 5centigrade

Am I to understand that the heat in your house/flat goes down to 5 degrees C at night? or is the temp lowered by 5 degrees C, to 15 degrees C? If the former hence your problem as Fukien Teas are tropical trees and should never be exposed to temps lower than 10 degrees C (50 Fahrenheit).

Leaves browning off is usually an indication of insufficient watering. What type of soil is it in? What happens to the leaves prior to browning? Do they go limp or just change colour? Fukiens love their water but will show their discontent to wet roots by the leaves turning yellow and falling off.

Brown leaves could also be an indication of a pest problem, fukiens are notorious for "mealy bugs" little white cotton balls that appear on young shoots and found in crevices. They suck the sap and the leaf is not being nourished. Aphids could be another pest issue but not too common to fukiens, the ones that are the hardest to detect on fukiens because of their unique bark texture are scale insects.

These observations are only provided in response to your short question. In order to assist you further with our diagnosis, you need to provide us with more info and of course a picture is always worth 1K words.

Plant care index

Last edited:
Top Bottom