Carnivorous plants?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm hoping the rain we're expecting next week will get the peat mix in the new bog garden wet enough to plant and allow the new pitchers (and sundews coming soon) to settle in for the winter. It'll take a few years for them all to mature but I think it's really going to look cool... particularly on the side of a mountain:cool:.
If you have a winter with snow and frost, you might want to wait a little with the sundews. They establish pretty well, but they die during freezing winters. They don't cost a lot, but it's always sad to see a population decimate.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If you have a winter with snow and frost, you might want to wait a little with the sundews. They establish pretty well, but they die during freezing winters. They don't cost a lot, but it's always sad to see a population decimate.
I purchased a few Drosera filiformis, which is apparently an indigenous perennial to the east coast of North America. My yard doesn't typically get a frost for another 6 weeks, and truly cold weather doesn't arrive until the end of the year. Everything will get covered in a pine needle or oak leaf mulch in December... I thought about holding off on them until spring but I got them fairly cheap so will give it a go.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Alrighty, good luck with them!
Just one thing more, I have had VFT's for over 8 years, maybe more than 10 years even. They were actively dividing every spring and did great in my outdoor bog. During the best year, I counted at least twenty. But one day, some nematodes or whatever kind of worm ended up in there. Not a single VFT survived from being eaten during that mild winter. So if you ever see that happen in your backyard, don't blame yourself.
Filling a bog with pesticides is against my principles, so I'm partially to blame. But still, it was one of the first living ecosystems I ever built and it did kind of hurt to see it die.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I can add some thoughts here for anyone interested in growing sarracenia. My early experiences growing them resulted in a several deaths but I think I have a good system now for pitcher pants in containers. Much of this has already been said but these plants must have water that is low in desolved solids otherwise the calcium etc. will burn the roots and gradually kill them. In pinch, if you can't get your hands on the appropriate water, tap water can be used (drying out will kill instantly) just over water next time to leach out any salts. If your not sure if your tap water is safe check it with a TDS meter which can be found on amazon. Your goal is for total dissolved solids to be <50. At one time, because I don't have a reverse osmosis system I would buy water by the gallon which is a huge pain. Instead, now, I put a gallon jug under the PVC condensate drain of my HVAC unit. Mine creates >1gallon of water with a TDS <10 daily.

Growing the plants well means mimicking there natural habitat which is tough in containers. They need full sun all day long, but cool roots. So, most of my early failures related to trying to put these plants in small containers. Even sitting in water, small pots in full sun get hot really fast, the stagnant water that you set the pots in also warms up quickly and that results in root damage in plant loss. I also did not like keeping the pots in shallow water because inevitably it fills with leaves, algae etc and just gets gross. So my objective in growing these was to create a self contained system that would meet the plants needs.

At first I just put plants in a big pot with holes about 3/4 up that would allow for a water reservoir. The larger pot should have a more stable temperature and the high water level would keep the peat/sand mix moist. This worked well at first but plants lost vigor over time which I think was related to the water becoming stagnant in the bottom of the pot. So I looked online and found all sorts of crazy bog garden contraptions with stop cocks and such, but I wanted a simple system that just looks like a standard pot. Here is what I came up with. Sorry for the crude drawing.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 10.56.43 PM.png

Basically the U shape is the pot. A PVC pipe extends from the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot. The solid pipe goes up to about 3/4 height of the pot then bends back down. The bottom of the pipe going down is perforated and gravel is used to fill the pot to the top of the perforations. Peat mix (in which the plants are growing) is placed on top of the gravel above the perforations. The result of this configuration is that at maximum capacity there is a water level all the way to the bend in the solid pipe. If water in the pot is filled above this level, water is sucked from the gravel drainage level in the bottom of the pot, and drains out the drain hole. This ensures that water in the pot always stays clean.

Even using large pots, I have measured temperatures >115 at the side wall of the pot after 3 hours in full sun so to get around this, from July - August (North Carolina) I wrap the whole container in Aluminum foil which does a great job of keeping the container cool. The container below I water 1-2 x per week making it one of the easier plants to keep.
Here is a picture of a white topped picture plant, Saracenia Leukophyla "Franklin county A", that has been in a container as above for about 3 years. Picture is not great because it has already moved into my garage for the winter after a few light frosts. There is no size reference but these pitchers are about 2 ft tall and there lids are around 3 inches across.

IMG_5073.JPG

The pot also contains about 10 yellow fringed orchids which grow great with sarracenia. Photo from wikipedia as I don't have any from this years blooming.
1540525888277.png

Obviously there are lots of ways to grow these things but this has worked well for me.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happens to a carnivorous plant if it doesn’t get any bugs? We have tons of mosquitoes, but I don’t think they’ll be attracted to the sugary bait that a VFT produces. Should I give it a drop of blood like little shop of horrors?

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like my photo did not upload. Another try.

Attachments

• FCE17743-B8CA-4304-A4C9-EA12E6F74282.jpeg
    FCE17743-B8CA-4304-A4C9-EA12E6F74282.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 29

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Toys just arrived. I'm planting them in plain sphagnum moss and ro water.
View attachment 202616
View attachment 202618
I was looking at that site wondering what size to order in for Dale Cochoy's pot. So those sizes marked I find intriguing, can you plant a few together to fill a 3" round pot? Looking at the The Northern Purple Pitcher Plant, Sarracenia purpurea purpurea.

Seeing many here have them in trays or tubs of water. I was wondering if one could fill a tray with sand cover sphagnum moss for looks and push Dale's down into the sand a bit. And keep watered that way. Thoughts?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was looking at that site wondering what size to order in for Dale Cochoy's pot. So those sizes marked I find intriguing, can you plant a few together to fill a 3" round pot? Looking at the The Northern Purple Pitcher Plant, Sarracenia purpurea purpurea.

Seeing many here have them in trays or tubs of water. I was wondering if one could fill a tray with sand cover sphagnum moss for looks and push Dale's down into the sand a bit. And keep watered that way. Thoughts?
I'm not understanding. My plants died btw. All but sundew and then they gave up. Maybe summer is too hot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was thinking of filling a tray of sand and sphagnum moss...and pushing Dale's pot down so the drain holes would be down into the sand. If I water the tray and keep it soppy wet...would this work okay as a bog? Don't wish to get Dale's pot hidden in a tray of water. But raised up in one sitting on sand and spaghumn... or the box mix they sell to plant them in. In the tray to raise the pot so it's not hidden in the tray. But sitting at the time of it. Yet watering by adding water to the tray. Not sure that could work. Drew a poor virtual. Tray being purple...sand and sphagnum the dots in the tray. Sorry bad drawing.
Screenshot_20190304-184345.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Or, could I plug the drain holes with putty and just fill the pots with water? Leaving not sitting in a tray of anything?
My concern with plugging up the pot would be that your plant might dry out. Container needs to be deep and wide to be a reservoir.

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Your best bet would probably be to keep it sitting in a shallow tray of water, maybe a suiban? S. purpurea in particular will be difficult since it is a very water loving species. For most of my Sarracenia I fill the tubs with ~3/4" of water which will typically dry out by the end of the day (during the growing season). This keeps the soil saturated, but allows air movement through the soil as well. However, for my purps, I keep them in a lot more water since they're almost aquatic.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your best bet would probably be to keep it sitting in a shallow tray of water, maybe a suiban? S. purpurea in particular will be difficult since it is a very water loving species. For most of my Sarracenia I fill the tubs with ~3/4" of water which will typically dry out by the end of the day (during the growing season). This keeps the soil saturated, but allows air movement through the soil as well. However, for my purps, I keep them in a lot more water since they're almost aquatic.
I wasn't sure if the suiban would be deep enough. ? yes, that could work then. And fall more into bonsai than a plastic plant tray. I only plan on doing pitchers in the one...and dwarf horsetail in the other. And a sculpture in the smallest. So...thanks! Seeing @Dav4 's tubs of water...had me second guessing if the shallower tray would work.

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wasn't sure if the suiban would be deep enough. ? yes, that could work then. And fall more into bonsai than a plastic plant tray. I only plan on doing pitchers in the one...and dwarf horsetail in the other. And a sculpture in the smallest. So...thanks! Seeing @Dav4 's tubs of water...had me second guessing if the shallower tray would work.

It's easier in deeper tubs, but doable in shallow ones, you just have to make sure the soil stays wet.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's easier in deeper tubs, but doable in shallow ones, you just have to make sure the soil stays wet.
Thanks, will look into finding an oval shaped one. To match the curves of this pot. Thanks...an oversized one...so it sits back in the corner/side and is viewable from the front sounds ideal.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Two in nature, bowl in my apartment window

Attachments

• 61053DBD-DDC8-4407-AB4B-4B83DA44BC08.jpeg
    61053DBD-DDC8-4407-AB4B-4B83DA44BC08.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 479F1D23-12B6-496C-983C-00C9465F95CC.jpeg
    479F1D23-12B6-496C-983C-00C9465F95CC.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 30
  • E3D08155-5ACA-4B2E-8205-A86C7FF7C4A9.jpeg
    E3D08155-5ACA-4B2E-8205-A86C7FF7C4A9.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 24

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@JoeR
2nd picture bladderwort?

Love your bowl!
Utricularia inflata, native to my area as are the Drosera. And thanks! The bowl houses Cephalotus, VFT, Utricularia, Pinguicula, Drosera, Liverworts, live Sphagnum Moss, and some flowering weedy plants.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@JoeR
That's so cool to have those native to your area! I'm just a little too far north for those...

This will be the year I get my carnivorous container planted again, but it'll be no where near as nice and extensive as yours. Maybe a few fly traps and a pitcher, or sundew, or a butterwort. Time to break out the carnivorous plant propagation book and get some ideas together!

Top Bottom