Carob anyone?

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone has any experience with carob tree as bonsai? Carobs here grow like weed and in every place you see there is a carob tree. These trees usually grow in ruins etc so almost always the roots are into rocks so its impossible to dig up. So i wanted to know if it is possible to airlayer, i mean when can you decide if a tree is able to airlayer and not?

Attachments

• harruba.jpg
    harruba.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I've considered a carob bonsai, but just haven't tried it yet. It would have to be treated as half-hardy here in my part of the world.

As for air-layering, I suggest you do an Internet search on carob propagation; might be your best bet.

Do they grow quickly from seed? Related question: are you young enough to wait for one to grow from seed? :)

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i am almost 27 now, carob seeds are no problem some of us actually good its seed because it gives certain ammount of natural benefits. I tooks some last season and put them in a pot, i have 3 young ones about 10" tall so its not that bad, i had about 5 at the begining but they are a bit picky when they are young. For this season i have loads and loads of carob seed even though i can get about 5 year old ones from a government place here where you can buy local trees cheap. My main point was how can you decide if a tree can be airlayered or not, maybe soft wood trees or hard wood trees. I will check about some carob growing tips now :)

Top Bottom