Carolina Bonsai Expo, 10/10-10/11

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm very excited to be going up to this years bonsai show in Asheville, NC. Being new to the Southeast, I've had the arboretum on my lists of places to visit, and it looks like I'll be spending the whole weekend up there with my family. I believe Dale Colchoy will be one of the vendors...love those pots, Dale, and I'm bringing cash! Anyway, if you're planning on making the trip, I hope to see you there.

Dave

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Take a camera !!!!!

keep it green,
Harry

johng

Omono
Reaction score
This is the 14th year for the Expo and I am really looking forward to it. Arthur Joura always does a fantastic job. I believe Arthur's email said 13 clubs from Pennsylvania to Georgia will be participating in the club display...this judged affair seems to get better and better every year. Arthur has encouraged clubs to be creative in their display efforts so you never know what you might see:D Kathy Shaner is the guest artist this year and I am sure she will be doing some workshops as well.

In addition to Dale Cochoy, the vendors area will include Randy Clark, Jim Doyle, Ken Duncan, The Meehans, Steve Pilasik (I don't think that is spelled right..sorry Steve), Mecco Bonsai, China Bonsai, and another vendor selling very nice Chinese stoneware whose name just won't come to me...they are out of New York....at least that was the line up last year and I suspect there will be little variation.

One of the big events each year is the auction to benefit the bonsai program at the arboretum. This year it will be held Sat afternoon instead of Sunday. I am sure Arthur will have many goodies up for bid.

If that is not enough, the Expo is the second weekend in Oct in Asheville, NC. This is typically just before peak color but the trees and mountains are gorgeous nonetheless.

You can find out more information here - http://67.23.15.90/plan-a-visit/event-calendar/carolina-bonsai-expo/

Hope to see you there,
John

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
John, thanks for the additional info...I'm glad you were able to fill in all the blanks about who/what will be on the docket in Asheville. It really should be a great time.

Dave

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Do they have a schedule of any kind of types of workshops and when?

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dav4,

I am glad to hear that you are going. It is always a good time. I hope to be there at least on Saturday.

Johng,

Good update. Additionall, I believe Richard Boggs will be selling pots and Robert Wallace may be there as well. As you know, both are North Carolina pot makers. If they are not there, the Arboretum does stock some of Robert's pots in their gift shop. Mike Brawley from Campbell's Greenhouses in Charlotte was there last year as well, so hopefully he will be back.

I look forward to seeing you and Ken as well at the Columbia South Carolina groups table again.

Bubbafrga,

I do not believe that the schedule has been published yet. Everything is opened to the membership of the participating (displaying) clubs first. Then to the general public. I will try to remember to post here any information that I see as soon as I can.

Regards all,
Martin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope to see you there, Martin. If I remember correctly, you are a Red Sox fan...with any luck they might be playing a game that weekend:).

Dave

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Going for at least Saturday may stay over have to wait and see. Has anyone here seen a list of times or events yet I would like to see a couple of demonstrations.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
im going - looking to buy some comma trees :D

its always a good trip and worth the drive.

i havent been to a club meeting in months so ill get an extra surprise when i get there - i have no idea who's bringin what and what the display will be like.

maybe ill see some of you there- johng i think i met you 2 years ago - is your club the one with the really nice ficus with MASSIVE base on it? are with randy and those guys? i was real impressed with the large trident that sits down there at the blc too.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
oh and everyone should own a steve pilacik dvd - just for the bird in the background.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
more info

I know a little bit about the workshops and demos but the details are still coming. Arthur sent an email to participating clubs on the first of Sept

At this point it looks like Kathy Shaner will do two workshops and Jim Doyle will do one and there will also be an Ikebana workshop with Terry Todd...that is all the specific info that has been released on the workshops at this point.

Several demonstrations are planned as well... Kathy Shaner's main demo will be Sat evening which is an affair normally limited to about 100 people, but the details are still coming. Typically a couple of public demos occur during the day on Sat. Since the auction will be on Sat afternoon this year I don't expect there will be a competing demo at that time so the morning is probably the best opportunity to see a demo. I actually know for a fact that there will be a demo on Sun afternoon this year. It will be a Bald Cypress and Water Elm group planting on a slab.

For those wanting to stay the night Arthur shared this information...

"Have you and the members of your club who will be spending a night or two in Asheville made your accommodation arrangements? It is highly advisable to do so without further delay. There is some good news to report on that front - thanks to Arboretum staff member Cindy B., we have received a truly discount rate offer from a new hotel that is nearby. The rate being offered is $129 per night. This is a lot of money, but it is a good deal less than what most area hotels charge in October. The number of rooms available is limited. The hotel is located 1 exit south from the Arboretum exit on I-26. Travel time driving is about 10 minutes each way.
Here are the specifics, if you are interested:
Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park
43 Towne Square
Biltmore Park
Asheville, NC 28803
Reservations: phone 828-209-2700 / MENTION BONSAI EXPO
Toll free: 1-800-321-3232 / MENTION BONSAI EXPO
Check In: 3:00 PM / Check Out: 11:00 AM
Single/Double Rate: $129 per night
ALL RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE BEFORE SEPTEMBER 18TH TO RECEIVE THE SPECIAL RATE."

I will share more as I learn more...

John

johng

Omono
Reaction score
maybe ill see some of you there- johng i think i met you 2 years ago - is your club the one with the really nice ficus with MASSIVE base on it? are with randy and those guys? i was real impressed with the large trident that sits down there at the blc too.

I will be there all weekend and I am sure we have met but please come up and introduce yourself again. I am the tall bald guy from South Carolina...the last name is Geanangel...just ask about anybody and they will be able to point me out:)

Looking forward to it...
John

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Dav4,

Johng,

Good update. Additionall, I believe Richard Boggs will be selling pots and Robert Wallace may be there as well. As you know, both are North Carolina pot makers. If they are not there, the Arboretum does stock some of Robert's pots in their gift shop. Mike Brawley from Campbell's Greenhouses in Charlotte was there last year as well, so hopefully he will be back.

I look forward to seeing you and Ken as well at the Columbia South Carolina groups table again.

n

Hey Martin...thanks for the added info...can't believe I left those folks out:( As to the display, it is out of box this year so we will just have to see what happens;)

John

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dav4,

Yes I am a Red Sox fan, hoping that they will make it through the regular season without the Rangers catching them! A meaningful October would be nice, but might not be in the cards the way that other team from the AL East is playing.....

Watchndsky,

Unless I am mistaken, the large trident and the ficus you refer to are both Randy Clark's from the Bonsai Learning Center in Charlotte, displayed by the Bonsai Society of the Carolinas, which no longer is the home club of Johng(eanangle), much to our regret. It is however my home club.

Johng,

Who will be doing the demo on Sun afternoon using Bald Cypress and Water Elm on a slab? I hope Arthur didn't overpay for this talent! Budgets are tight in North Carolina ya know.

Regards to all,
Martin

johng

Omono
Reaction score
It's Coming fast...have you made your plans?

Here is more info.
copy_o10.jpg

Last edited:

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
My neighbor just signed up for a workshop was told there filling up fast. Figured I'd let anyone here who was interested know.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just wanted to let everyone here know that the expo last weekend was a great time. With a 3.5 hour drive and the family in tow, I didn't get up to Asheville until 11:30 AM Saturday...by 11:40, I had already blown through my allotted amount of $$$ at Dale Colchoy's booth. I scored with one of his large "dry river bed" ovals as well as a large riveted round pot. The other vendors had descent pots/stock as well, but, again, I was tapped out before leaving Dale's booth.

The trees in the exhibition were all quite good, but some of them were extraordinary/world class quality. They were displayed in groups associated with the various clubs/organizations that had members participating in the expo. The displays were all well done and a pleasure to look at. It was also a pleasure to meet John Geanangel and Ken Duncan, frequent contributers here at Bnut, who had what I thought was the best display in the exhibit (their exhibit did win 2 awards, including best in show). They also ran a demo Sunday afternoon, creating a slab planting of Bald Cypress and Water Elm. I was unable to stay for the entire demo, but I can tell you that the room was full and everyone was clearly having a great time.

Finally, I can't say enough about the venue. The NC Arboretum is a wonderful place to visit, and has a top notch bonsai collection as a permanent display. I am already looking forward to next year. I did take pictures, but I will not have time to post them for a bit...while we were gone, my basement flooded from all the rain over the weekend:mad::eek::mad:. I'm still glad I went:).

Dave

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dave, it was nice meeting you. I'd hoped to catch back up with you at some point during the day Saturday and talk with you but never did get a chance. I was NOT intentionally listening in on your and John's conversation. Just heard it and thought I'd pop in. Again, sorry I wasn't able to talk much then but I'd intended to later. (You may've heard my son voicing his displeasure at being strapped into a stroller for much of the time I was in the display area.)

I hope that the vendors made out well at the show this year. I certainly enjoy viewing their wares and we have to make it worth their time. I'll admit to *not* doing my part this year, but it wasn't because I didn't see anything I liked, ...thats for sure. The vendor area was packed when I was there, so I hope that translates to good things for them.

The display was as good as I've seen, and I think that the number of individual trees I'd classify as excellent is on the rise. Certainly the selection of Best In Show isn't an easy decision to make. (The guilt of making a wrong decision is lessened by having a Teachers' Award, Guest Artist's Award, Peer Award, and People's Choice Award, along with a Curator's Award for best display. (I think I'm right about what those awards are for.))

I posted pictures of every tree on display (including the Arboretum's collection) for any that are interested in seeing them here: http://bonsaistudygroup.com/general-discussion/carolina-bonsai-expo-2009/

I'll add a few teasers here in just a minute.

Attachments

• sm_DSC_0086.jpg
    sm_DSC_0086.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 40
  • sm_DSC_0007.jpg
    sm_DSC_0007.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 42
  • sm_DSC_0064.jpg
    sm_DSC_0064.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 47
  • sm_DSC_0089.jpg
    sm_DSC_0089.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was good to meet you, as well. I did see you had your hands full, and I fully understand why we didn't talk later. My bonsai collection and motivation took a big hit when my 2 children were infants/toddlers. Now that they are 7 and 9, I am able to devote more time and focus to the hobby. I certainly hope to see you again next year in Asheville, along with John Dixon, an old BT'er, who I also met for the first time last Saturday. Also, thanks for the pics...they are certainly better then anything I could post.

Dave

Top Bottom