Carolina Bonsai Expo

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Arthur Joura sent this notice to bonsai clubs in the SE:

The 19th annual Carolina Bonsai Expo
will take place at the NC Arboretum on Saturday, October 11th and Sunday, October 12th, 2014.

This year's guest artist is David DeGroot. Ask any person knowledgeable about bonsai in the US to name the top 3 public bonsai collections in the country, and the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection will almost certainly be on the list. David DeGroot has been the curator of that collection since its inception, more than 25 year ago. His expertise in the horticultural aspect of bonsai is matched only by his understanding of the design principles that make it an art form. In addition, David is an engaging teacher and an entertaining speaker who has traveled extensively throughout the country as a visiting artist. Some old-timers in the crowd might well remember him as the Expo guest artist in 1999, and if you missed him then you will appreciate this opportunity to get to know David. Those who already know him will be, as I am, pleased to welcome him back!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Jim. This is one not to miss. Get reservations early, hotels quickly fill up. See you there.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ive missed last 5 years because of work - im anxious to go this year (and hopefully treat myself to some nice pieces)

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks for posting. My club got the info too and we plan on doing our very first show there.

Watch out JohnG. ;)

Bob O

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I too am looking forward to this expo. I had the pleasure of meeting Arthur Joura this spring and look forward to seeing all of the exhibits. Can't wait.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. My club got the info too and we plan on doing our very first show there.

Watch out JohnG. ;)

Bob O

That is great news Bob! I look forward to meeting you and seeing what your club puts together:) I think it would be awesome for a first time club to do well....it will be a challenge...the displays and trees get better every year. Several folks have mentioned to me this year that their club is going to be stepping it up...and I think that is great.

If I can help answer any questions or do anything please don't hesitate to ask! You should probably go ahead and make some reservations if you haven't already. After years of expensive hotels, ($150+/night) my study group decided to go in together and rent a house for the weekend. We stay through Monday and that really helps to relieve the Sunday evening pressure to break down and get home. Best decision we ever made, been in the same house now for 5 straight years! Saves lots of money and it's good time as well.

It will be here before you know...hope you all have been working on your display!

John

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is great news Bob! I look forward to meeting you and seeing what your club puts together:) I think it would be awesome for a first time club to do well....it will be a challenge...the displays and trees get better every year. Several folks have mentioned to me this year that their club is going to be stepping it up...and I think that is great.

If I can help answer any questions or do anything please don't hesitate to ask! You should probably go ahead and make some reservations if you haven't already. After years of expensive hotels, ($150+/night) my study group decided to go in together and rent a house for the weekend. We stay through Monday and that really helps to relieve the Sunday evening pressure to break down and get home. Best decision we ever made, been in the same house now for 5 straight years! Saves lots of money and it's good time as well.

It will be here before you know...hope you all have been working on your display!

John

If only those rental house walls could talk....first liar doesn't stand a chance.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

John

Thanks John,

We have met before, I was there in 2012 ( when you had the cold fish :eek:) with the Virginia Bonsai Society display and last year I wasn't there but a couple of my trees were. I was told that they were the only tropical bonsai in the show.

Last year I and a few others broke away from that the VBS and formed our own group, the Tidewater Bonsai Club. Check out our Facebook page. We work on trees or our display at every meeting.

Since seeing your BCs I have added a couple to my herd. They grow in this area but I can't get permission to collect them so mine are bought trees. Maybe I can add another this year from your group's vending table. :cool:

Your group sets the bar pretty high and I am excited to see what y'all do this year.

Bob O

equanox1

Seedling
Reaction score
I didn't find out about this until 7pm the last night of the expo. If I would have heard about it Before I did, I would have went! Really would have liked to!
I think if there's another one next year, there should be word of it long before it happens! And if its an annual exhibition, I've still not heard of a NC exhibition until now.
Word of something like this is hard to come by in NC.
Well, I am more along the lines of the younger generation (24) so I wasn't expecting to hear about it, plus I don't know of anyone else who likes bonsai except for my grandma, so of course word of mouth is pretty much impossible.

It would be nice if bonsai communities would put the word out MORE instead of keep it to what seems to be closed groups. and only those in the know find out about these events.

I read another thread saying along the lines of bonsai today and wheres its headed.. well... PUT THE WORD OUT! get people involved and informed!
Keeping it quiet isn't bringing business or other enthusiasts around if they don't hear about things like the carolina expo!
Just sayin :")

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I didn't find out about this until 7pm the last night of the expo. If I would have heard about it Before I did, I would have went! Really would have liked to!
I think if there's another one next year, there should be word of it long before it happens! And if its an annual exhibition, I've still not heard of a NC exhibition until now.
Well, I am more along the lines of the younger generation (24) so I wasn't expecting to hear about it, plus I don't know of anyone else who likes bonsai except for my grandma, so of course word of mouth is pretty much impossible.

It would be nice if bonsai communities would put the word out MORE instead of keep it to what seems to be closed groups. and only those in the know find out about these events.

I read another thread saying along the lines of bonsai today and wheres its headed.. well... PUT THE WORD OUT! get people involved and informed!
Keeping it quiet isn't bringing business or other enthusiasts around if they don't hear about things like the carolina expo!
Next year will be the 20th anniversary of the expo… As far as I can tell it is always being held on the second weekend in October. You can count on it.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Equanox1,

Wow.

The Carolina's Bonsai Expo just enjoyed it's 19th highly successful edition. The 20th will be the second weekend in October, just like every other one of the previous 19 annual editions. Mark your calendar now.

Interestingly, people from all over the East Coast found out about it and attended it without issue. While the organizer did not send you a personal invitation, I don't think that is really his fault. There was an announcement on this internet forum, the Internet Bonsai Club, your local Bonsai Club was kept informed by the organizer as well as 9 other Bonsai organizations in the Southeast.

Perhaps you need to spend more time trying to find good sources of information about what is happening in Bonsai in Greensboro, the Triad, the NC piedmont, North Carolina, the Carolinas and the Southeast, instead of blaming others for your lack of knowledge. You may start with:

http://piedmontncbonsai.org/

You may want to check with the NC Arboretum website as well.

Regards,
Martin

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
And, I might add, I started this thread back in JULY.

I guess you blinked and . . . missed it.

Glad you would have "went" to it. Maybe you can go to it next year.

Top Bottom