Carolina Bonsai Expo

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Warren Hill made an appearance. He's wheelchair bound after his stroke. He LOVED your Red Pine.

I like that tree, too. Warren and I both made our wheelchair debut at this one. Bummer (but better than not getting there).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Walter ripped me apart at the Expo 4 years ago when I showed my large collected Rocky Mountain Juniper with all the deadwood recently bleached with lime sulfur. He suggested applying the lime sulfur perhaps every 25 years or so. He may be making a distinction between what is appropriate for man made vs natural deadwood...all I know is that he was very adamant in his dislike for the bleached deadwood on my tree then.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Walter ripped me apart at the Expo 4 years ago when I showed my large collected Rocky Mountain Juniper with all the deadwood recently bleached with lime sulfur. He suggested applying the lime sulfur perhaps every 25 years or so. He may be making a distinction between what is appropriate for man made vs natural deadwood...all I know is that he was very adamant in his dislike for the bleached deadwood on my tree then.
Hmmm...

He just came from judging the Artisans Cup, where there were a ton of deadwood junipers. He also mentioned that "styles" of trees come and go in favor. Like hem lengths. Maybe now lime sulphur is "in", whereas 4 years ago it was "out".

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did NOT say to use it full strength. I said that it was fine that way and that one could add black ink to make it look even more gray. I absolutely hate recently white painted conifer deadwood. I think it is a mistake in any style.
So just a misunderstanding - no big deal.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Walter...

Oh, my! I totally misheard you!

Thanks for clearing that up!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh wait!

It was Warren Hill who said I should use the lime sulphur straight, not Walter!

My apologies for the mis-attribution!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You guys put on a sweet show!

That 3rd place artisans tree is wow!

Nut trees! Excellent!

@jkl the windswept is ACCURATE!
Beauty!

@Eric Group. Thanks for doing the picture thing! My god!

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Dav4 , I'm a fan of your red pine. How tall is it? It's always looked very tall to me until now as it stands on table with that juniper Adair worked on.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Dav4 , I'm a fan of your red pine. How tall is it? It's always looked very tall to me until now as it stands on table with that juniper Adair worked on.
Me too...I always had it pegged at about 32". I actually like it more seeing it is smaller.
Looked like a good show, wish I could have made it, but glad our club had an opportunity to enter a display.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Me too...I always had it pegged at about 32". I actually like it more seeing it is smaller.
Looked like a good show, wish I could have made it, but glad our club had an opportunity to enter a display.
Family comes first, BVF! There will be other shows.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The height from the rim to the top of the highest needle is 21 1/2 inches.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, that Sargents Juniper is tall. Dwarfs everything else, and it pretty much dictated how our trees were to be placed. It would have been better if we had a slab rather than a stand for it. At least the stand was a low one.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The height from the rim to the top of the highest needle is 21 1/2 inches.

Thanks everyone, and thanks Adair, for providing the actual height. I was going to say "less then 2 feet"...and I would have been right;). I'm sorry I missed this year's show, but work and family responsibilities will always take precedence. Let's hope we can all meet up there at some point in the future and visit a few microbrews togethero_O.

Top Bottom