Carolina hornbeam

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An older collected hornbeam (about 24 inches tall, 4 or 5 inch trunk) that was a gift from a great bonsai friend. Repotted into a Bryan Albright pot this year. Finally weather has warmed enough to get it out of the mulch pile.

Needs work--removing the cut paste will take some time, but will have to reseal edges after that is done.

I was kind of cautious about moving it into such a shallow pot, but the root mass out of the training container was flat and required only minimal reduction. If things go wonky with growth because of the shallow pot, I will slip pot into a deeper one.
hornbeam.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think it would look better in a deeper pot anyway honestly. In any case though much better than my CH. I’ve grown to really enjoy the species, a very vigorous grower here and able to thrive in a variety of conditions. Out of curiousity, do you grow yours in shade or full sun?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it would look better in a deeper pot anyway honestly. In any case though much better than my CH. I’ve grown to really enjoy the species, a very vigorous grower here and able to thrive in a variety of conditions. Out of curiousity, do you grow yours in shade or full sun?

To each their own. I used the shallow pot to emphasize the heavy trunk and lighter branching of the species. I didn't want the tree to be heavy, visually and physically. Don't know if the scale comes across. This is a pretty large tree.

I grow this in full sun until noon or so, then its in semi shade.

Top Bottom