Carpinus Betulus 2

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is another recent project, European Hornbeam.
Field grown, raw, cheap material...first styling

IMAG3895.jpg

IMAG3896.jpg

The tree went through a series of reductions and thinning out, before finally coming to a preferred image..
IMG_8549.jpg

IMG_8559.jpg

146e2bb1-105c-4b7f-8364-a6afcf93d005.jpg

IMG_8610.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

IMG_8618.jpg

IMG_8298.jpg

Going for a multi trunk naturalistic design, will clip throughout the growing season to build taper and ramification, thinning out the trees structure as i go along, little by little.
there is a little hollowing in the base where the big root in the middle has slightly grown over another, it doesnt bother me, but ive thought about using this to create more depth in the hollow like this.
IMG_8456.jpg

so rather than it being a big root, it would just be a ridge of deadwood....with a fox hole
icon_e_wink.gif

The tree is nothing special, but i liked the sub trunks an wanted to use these as the trees feature..

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice work! I'd be careful about carving though. I have some of these and they heal slowly.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Paul, not too worried about it healing if i do a little on the base, it would just be left as deadwood and then treated once it weathers and Hornbeam would is very hard..

I agree about the soil, Vin...tempted to get it into something better but for now will leave it out of the rain and probably wait until next month to re pot..

Thanks everyone

Reactions: Vin

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks worse because ive been spraying the surface roots with water, to have a better look at the nebari. if you see the first image, it was just a ball of moist soil. i did mention that its a raw, field grown tree:)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the tree material, but I have to say - you post some of the best photos of trees in nature! Are these photos you've taken yourself? In any case, great inspirational photos...

Chris

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the tree material, but I have to say - you post some of the best photos of trees in nature! Are these photos you've taken yourself? In any case, great inspirational photos...

Chris

Cheers Chris, yes most of the recent images posted here, ive taken myself, others just pulled from the internet.,
Some of my recent pics are here https://www.flickr.com/photos/138823275@N03/albums/72157662650964481

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks pretty good! In a few years it will be really nice. I'm on the hunt for a hornbeam to collect this spring

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Back on ignore!

I'm moving to England!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Richmond Park. Been there many times with my wife and in-laws back in the late 70's and 80's. I remember the deer that roamed free throughout the park. Small world.
The deer are still there and plenty full, i only realised how big the place is when looking for that Oak in my avator recently, ill go back in spring as the buds are swelling to take more pics..

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This one went in the ground today, i'd like the apex to extend and thicken a little...everything else will be clipped and grown throughout the season for ramification. i'd like it to be a slender tree, maybe around 12-14in

2017-02-22_03-43-06 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-02-22_03-42-39 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-02-22_03-49-15 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

The blue line indicates the sinuous movement i'd like in the trunk
32238423563_cbbd607195_c by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

will update in time

Last edited:
Top Bottom