Carpinus caroliniana in bloom

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a tree you don't often see blooming when grown in a container.

This is an American hornbeam that I have been working on for a while.

IMG_0006a.jpg

As you can see, this is still a work in progress.

Tomorrow it gets a haircut and a shave and I thought you might like to see the catkins before I cut them off.

Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_0009a.jpg

IMG_0015a.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's hard to do. Nice job.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose this tree would really be a mess over ones sidewalk to your front door, but as a bonsai, I would put up with that mess anytime.

Thanks for sharing.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
gorgeous .... is this random luck or did you do anything special to get it to flower so profusely???? ....

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose this tree would really be a mess over ones sidewalk to your front door, but as a bonsai, I would put up with that mess anytime.

Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome Al.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
gorgeous .... is this random luck or did you do anything special to get it to flower so profusely???? ....

I was wondering if anyone would ask this question.

As far as I can tell, this is just random luck.

This tree started flowering about 6 years ago. At first, the catkins were few and far between. However, each year the number of catkins has increased. As you can see in the photos, they seem to be concentrated in the upper portion of the tree

I don't treat this hornbeam any different than my other hornbeams. But this is the only one that flowers.

I appreciate the compliment.

Cheers,
Paul

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really beautiful. I have a carpinus turczaninowii that I've been hoping for flowers on for a few years. I wonder if it will happen for me?

Do you think that your tree would still flower if it was in a pot as opposed to a trainer?

It's too bad it's random luck, I'd love to know the secret ingredient!

Thanks for posting- it's just lovely.
J

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really beautiful. Thanks for posting- it's just lovely.

Your welcome Judy, I appreciate the kind words.

Do you think that your tree would still flower if it was in a pot as opposed to a trainer?

That's a good question. I think with the proper care that it will continue to flower. However, only time will tell.

It's too bad it's random luck, I'd love to know the secret ingredient!

The fact that the flowers on this tree are most like due to random luck is something that makes me nerves every time I prune and re-pot this tree. The nagging question is - Will it flower again next year?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Regards,
Paul

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe Bill V. has one that flowers often ... (besides his flowering japanese hornbeam) ..... I wonder if he would know the secret to getting them to flower :)

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, are you sure it's an American hornbeam? It looks like your bark isn't smooth like the ones I'm used to.

Nice to see flowers on such a nice tree, regardless.

Zach

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've had some experience with hornbeam bonsai flowering. Japanese hornbeam, Carpinus japonica and Red-leaf hornbeam (Loose flowering hornbeam) Carpinus laxiflora seem to have a heavy blossoms every other year, like many fruiting species. Korean hornbeam, Carpinus coreana do occasionally flower, but nothing like the two Japanese species. Nothing special is done culturally, they just seem to explode every other year.

Bill

RED-LEAF-HORNBEAM-flowers.jpg
Red-leaf hornbeam

JAPANESE-HORNBEAM.jpg
Japanese hornbeam

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, are you sure it's an American hornbeam? It looks like your bark isn't smooth like the ones I'm used to.

Nice to see flowers on such a nice tree, regardless.

Zach

Hi Zach,

Yes, this is an American hornbeam.

It is a local variety that I collected myself many years ago.

As you noted, the mature bark has a bit more character to it. This is typical for the Carpinus that grow around my area.

Thanks for the compliment.

Regards,
Paul

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mr. Valavanis, those two examples are amazing. I can only hope for something near to that once my laxiflora gets older. That red leaf hornbeam is astonishing! Is this a cultivar of the japonica?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thanks Bill ... the redleaf was the one I was thinking of when I posted ... !!!!! :) :)

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is an old thread, but could find no other references to blooming american hornbeam on the site...

I re-potted my tree about a week ago and it's starting to put out flowers. Pretty significant root work was done (maybe 40% removal). I was wondering if it would be best for the tree to remove the male flowers so energy can be focused on foliage production? Just curious.

Thanks

Noah

Last edited:
Top Bottom