Carpinus Grab

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Just grabbed this on a whim at 40%. Pretty stoked, had grabbed a Quince as well and saw it on the way out. Definitely pretty root bound so I’m sure it needs some root work, but the top was pretty appealing. Looking to hear some advice. Thinking just pruning back the new growth and crossing stuff this winter, and a repot late winter/early spring.

609F048D-D1FE-4CF9-90EA-22CAC397F945.jpeg

05765327-C4EF-40DF-B903-FF01AFE18781.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My favourite kind, there will be some gems in there for sure.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
My favourite kind, there will be some gems in there for sure.
There is, but absurdly overpriced due to being located in one of the most expensive places in the country.

surprisingly the trees I got weren’t too bad, the Carpinus definitely on the pricey end though.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There is, but absurdly overpriced due to being located in one of the most expensive places in the country.

surprisingly the trees I got weren’t too bad, the Carpinus definitely on the pricey end though.

what part of NY is that?
So its a European hornbeam? looks like one, so they must be importing them or growing them themselves.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It’s a Euro. I doubt they import. There’s plenty of growers around they source from or grow in their own fields. It’s marders in bridgehampton.

they have field grown B+B stuff listed at 85k and upwards of 50-60’.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It’s a Euro. I doubt they import. There’s plenty of growers around they source from or grow in their own fields. It’s marders in bridgehampton.

they have field grown B+B stuff listed at 85k and upwards of 50-60’.

so maybe if you want to find those cheaper you have to do more searching/travelling.
looks like a solid base trunk, hopefully there is some treasure under the soil.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah I’d have to track down the grower for the best deal. Not impossible, but I rarely seem them in my searches. Especially at that size; they’re usually larger landscape trees. This one was grown for hedging. I got an industry discount and it was $120.

I’m content with the purchase, I’m not dwelling on the cost what so ever.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ok here’s a bunch of sides. I think I’m going to start off by pruning back the shoots that have elongated out during the growing season and some crossing stuff. A little insure about what to do with the bigger stems. Thinking reduce them to a smaller branch?06B3D8B4-C2E1-4E2A-83A0-62C7C17E44E4.jpegAC379474-3A54-47A1-9C13-FC006D65A206.jpeg046A5973-4B21-4082-9BFC-BD9B45CF57B9.jpegC608B855-1CFC-4DF2-B43B-3BEEE9DB14EE.jpeg2807414B-753B-4DFD-89FD-E66C19A6EE93.jpeg357B3CA9-1C65-488B-8F6D-EFDC2336FA3E.jpeg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I dont know, those large branches 2/3 ( 1/2? )of the way up are throwing me off.

it if were mine- i would probably go with a low chop with carving

- or-

least cut everything back to just a trunk and grow 100% of the branches from scratch

It might be extreme, but I have wasted time enough to know better :p

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
whats the nebari like? its often good practice to find a part of the base you like and then get the top half to fit, but seems like youre doin it the other way around.
could it be suited to a broom with lots of branches meeting at one point? do you have a specific style you like? some people like bonsai trees to look like bonsai trees, others like bonsai trees to look like trees.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
@BobbyLane Yeah I’m thinking a naturalistic broom style. Only reason I didn’t do the nebari first was I couldn’t do that inside without my girl ripping my face off.

@MrWunderful I agree about those two branches.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are in the tri-state and looking for ground grown Hornbeam, Zelkova, beech, trident, larch, etc. look up Bonsai Dreams in Millstone. He has some trees dug up, and some fat trunks in the ground! Mostly all rough stock.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

sounds very similar to Sylvans tree nursery in Westport MA. some swank for sure $$

big fan of surf at long beach NY btw. RI surfer here

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
If you are in the tri-state and looking for ground grown Hornbeam, Zelkova, beech, trident, larch, etc. look up Bonsai Dreams in Millstone. He has some trees dug up, and some fat trunks in the ground! Mostly all rough stock.
Thanks for suggestion. I had no plans of getting another tree when I just got these last two. But I’ll definitely bookmark this nursery

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Curious what some would do about the larger branches up to? I’d like to avoid doing another chop.

will I see good backbudding in that area if fully removed?

is thread grafting a good option to make that happen?

I’ve done a little more work to the top since last photos taken. I’ll try to get pics at some point.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Curious what some would do about the larger branches up to? I’d like to avoid doing another chop.

will I see good backbudding in that area if fully removed?

is thread grafting a good option to make that happen?

I’ve done a little more work to the top since last photos taken. I’ll try to get pics at some point.
Good material for staters. You definitely need to cut the branches back to the point where they start to be boring. I think they should stay 5-10 cm long max. From there it could be regrown with annual wiring and cutting back.

Top Bottom