Carpinus Japonica buds

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just received a Japanese Hornbeam from Kurt and Lita at The Flower Market. Great people!!
When I was taking off the last of this seasons leaves, I noticed that it has already produced next years buds.
I know that some other trees push the next years buds in fall.
Is this the case with Hornbeams?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know of no temperate climate tree that pushes new leaves in fall. On the other hand all set buds all during the growing season.

The definition of a true leaf is that there is a bud at its base, where it joins the stem. Hornbeams have simple leaves, which means there is a bud on the stem every place a leaf is/was.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know of no temperate climate tree that pushes new leaves in fall. On the other hand all set buds all during the growing season.

The definition of a true leaf is that there is a bud at its base, where it joins the stem. Hornbeams have simple leaves, which means there is a bud on the stem every place a leaf is/was.
I did not mean to infer that there were leaves being produced, just that buds were present.
I now understand from your reply, that the buds are present at the site of each leaf base.
Do these buds then produce new leaves in spring?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do these buds then produce new leaves in spring?
Yes, indeed. If you can see them in spring, they will produce a new shoot with leaves, which is to say that some buds may appear in spring that you cannot see now and they too will produce leaves. Of course, if they don't get enough light to produce an adequate auxin+carbohydrate signal, they will wither and die.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes. My european hornbeams buds are much larger than my japanese, however.
Dont have any other varieties, but pretty sure its common across Carpinus. Tomorrow I can throw a pic up when its light out.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I decided to cut the Japanese Hornbeam back to develop a better structure. In the end, I chopped the apex and potted it. I might end up with another if it roots!

JapaneseHorn1.1.JPGJapaneseHorn1.6.JPGJapaneseHorn1.4.JPG

Top Bottom