Carpinus Leaf Damage.... Disease? Bugs?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Japanese beetles ??
I'm thinking yes...
It's been a while since I sprayed this one, it has grown a lot since, and the damage is on the new leaves ...
Just sprayed it down, along with a few others.
Used ortho 3 in 1, safe for veggies and fruits up to a week before harvest....it's been good so far.
But I've got every bug known to man over here...

Last edited:

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Korean Hornbeam has a bunch of leaves like this....
Ever seen this?
Any ideas?
I don't see any bugs, but I'll have to take a closer look next chance I get.
View attachment 148731

I have seen this type of damage before on KH I was growing. My current KH actually has some signs of pest damage and possibly another disease affecting the leaves. As before, I hit it with a systemic combination pesticide/fungicide to cover as many possible issues as possible and it is looking somewhat better since I treated it a couple weeks ago. The new growth looks unaffacted.

One has to be careful using systemics on certain tree species, but I believe Korean hornbeams are not one of these species.

As a side note, when I live in Fairfax Co. VA in the early 2000s, Japanese beetles were a huge problem for a period of time every summer. Living three hours north of there now, I have not yet seen a single Japanese beetle or heard of them being a problem here. Maybe a little later in the summer?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ton of birds here on the ranch....always wondered if the birds were picking at them in early spring. Buds swelling/opening look pretty juicy.......:confused::mad::mad::(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Like they were making snowman with a folded up piece of paper.....heheheeeee......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Get these on mine...ol' Ann Margeret....no visible signs of infestation/fungus.....I don't spray it or anything. Did see a big green caterpillar on one of my maples.....looked like an alien Gummi Bear on steroids...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If you do spray, do it in a shaded/safe for the weeones area.....:cool::D:D:D You have until next spring to practice looking for bugs!!:p:D:D:D:D:D

Wouldn't worry too much.....just keep a wary eye and all that.....:)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ton of birds here on the ranch....always wondered if the birds were picking at them in early spring. Buds swelling/opening look pretty juicy.......:confused::mad::mad::(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Like they were making snowman with a folded up piece of paper.....heheheeeee......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Get these on mine...ol' Ann Margeret....no visible signs of infestation/fungus.....I don't spray it or anything. Did see a big green caterpillar on one of my maples.....looked like an alien Gummi Bear on steroids...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If you do spray, do it in a shaded/safe for the weeones area.....:cool::D:D:D You have until next spring to practice looking for bugs!!:p:D:D:D:D:D

Wouldn't worry too much.....just keep a wary eye and all that.....:)
Indeed!
Just came back from a weekend trip and found my aphids back on my crape myrtle...
It's definitely THAT time of year...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was thinking beetles too, but I wonder if it was Japanese beetles, wouldn't there be a lot more damage than that? I see them devestate whole leaves and plants.

A lady I used to work with always said soft bodied insects eat from the outside in of a leaf, and hard bodied insects eat from the inside of the leaf. Don't know how true that is, but it sounded good.

I should probably check mine too :(

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Was thinking beetles too, but I wonder if it was Japanese beetles, wouldn't there be a lot more damage than that? I see them devestate whole leaves and plants.

A lady I used to work with always said soft bodied insects eat from the outside in of a leaf, and hard bodied insects eat from the inside of the leaf. Don't know how true that is, but it sounded good.

I should probably check mine too :(
I need to research it, to find out what it is, but I've seen these tiny little bugs that jump lightning fast. Don't know what they are. I thought it may have been a predator at first, but maybe the culprit.

Top Bottom