Carpinus Turczaninowii

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Korean Hornbeam.
There is a local guy in the DC metro area that sells his trees out of a large garden center. He's got some big, expensive, multi-thousand dollar juniper forests, a few decent azaleas, a few other random species thrown in the mix and tons of these Korean Hornbeam's. I picked one up early this spring. Seems like a nice tree. I like the fine twigs and small leaves. I can't wait for next year to get it into a legitimate pot.
These trees are known to have a very interesting autumn display of orange color, which was a big selling point for me. So I'm definitely looking forward to seeing that, in person.
I'm not seeing very many Korean Hornbeams on Bnut.... are they out there?
IMAG1785.jpg IMAG1786.jpg IMAG1787.jpg IMAG1788.jpg IMAG1791.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A link to mine, I've been meaning to update recently as it's looking so nice this year in leaf. Not sure if that thread has fall color shots, but it's amazing in fall color! These are fun trees to develop, they have their own growth habit, which is pretty cool in itself.
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/large-hornbeam.9512/

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have been growing KH for 20 some odd years, I have 3..............................love 'em! Yours is off to a pretty good start, Lance's looks good as well, and Judy's is just great!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had KH turc. on and off for a long time. My first "real" bonsai was an imported KH I got from Chase Rosade 20 years or so ago. There are a few of these around the D.C. area. I know at least three people who have them. Don't know where you got this one. I know Meehans sells through Wolf Trap Nursery and a few other places with a pretty high mark-up.

FWIW, fall color around here is iffy with these trees. The hot summers in this area can stress them out and turn leaves crispy by August. Over the 15 years I had my big KH, fall color was rarely beyond yellow. A lot depends on frost and how early and deep those frosts are. A good mid-October frost can produce great color. A soggy Oct. followed by a warm Nov. can mean just yellow...

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've had KH turc. on and off for a long time. My first "real" bonsai was an imported KH I got from Chase Rosade 20 years or so ago. There are a few of these around the D.C. area. I know at least three people who have them. Don't know where you got this one. I know Meehans sells through Wolf Trap Nursery and a few other places with a pretty high mark-up.

FWIW, fall color around here is iffy with these trees. The hot summers in this area can stress them out and turn leaves crispy by August. Over the 15 years I had my big KH, fall color was rarely beyond yellow. A lot depends on frost and how early and deep those frosts are. A good mid-October frost can produce great color. A soggy Oct. followed by a warm Nov. can mean just yellow...
Very interesting, thanks.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Any one who cares to answer, please do...
As a relatively new KH owner, I'm wondering how many flushes of growth per year I can normally expect from this tree....?

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Here is mine, I've been developing the branches pretty much from scratch for 10 years.

I find it grows continuously throughout the spring and summer. I've already done three trimming sessions on it. If I were to let it grow unchecked all season it would have 3 ft long shoots sticking out everywhere by September and there would be far too many thick unsightly branches, ruining the winter image.

Jonas has some good posts on korean hornbeam at BonsaiTonight.com. I think his experiences with total defoliation were poor, although not as catastrophic as Brian's. I have never fully defoliated this except for individual shoots for summer thread grafting.

ozXmrRs.jpg

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I ask because I kinda thought it might be a single flush, but I have seen a little bit of new growth recently. Not much, like one leaf a few week ago, and yesterday I noticed on of the branches extending from the tip....

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was speaking about the tree in question that is in the development phase, not in refinement. In refinement, I agree that letting it grow wild might be problematic.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One, and no matter what else you read, don't defoliate. Killed this one a few years ago.
I would agree with avoiding defoliation. If it doesn't kill the tree it will weaken it the following season. As you are seeing KH Turc isn't all that strong at putting out a secondary flush of growth, even when left alone.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
IMAG2335.jpg IMAG2337.jpg
This may be an elementary question, but, why is this "light second flush" (about 5 branches) so coarse?
Super long internodes and huge leaves.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Should I be concerned about this?
Is this normal?
Will next season's growth be long and huge for some reason?:eek::(
What the hell?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't worry. I wouldn't. Better this, than black and shriveled, right?:)
But the tree might not be as healthy as you would like, so don't remove it.
Give it some food for winter strengthening. And as much sun as you can carefully manage. (I put mine in too much, maybe..)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Don't worry. I wouldn't. Better this, than black and shriveled, right?:)
But the tree might not be as healthy as you would like, so don't remove it.
Give it some food for winter strengthening. And as much sun as you can carefully manage. (I put mine in too much, maybe..)
Now that you mention that, I did move it to mostly shade after I saw some leaf scorch on our 100℉ days...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure you wouldn't have that in full shade......or in the garage!?!?:mad::mad: It's been hot, and sunny...:p

Top Bottom