Carrigana as bonsai?

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Caragana as bonsai?

In my yard I have a area with a couple dozen plus caragana tree/shrubs. They grow like mad and are 10 -15 feet tall, multi trunked in clusters of various trunk sizes up to 3 - 4 inches thick. I'm planning on removing them to make space for more bonsai benches, stands and allowing more sunlight to hit that area.

I did a search regarding turning them into bonsai, it is done and I can't decide if I should bother? First issue is the multi truck clusters and how to deal with that? Second issue they are very boring straight trunks. "If" I can separate a single truck and chop it back hard it'll push new growth fast and hard but would it be trainable? Third issue zero nebari unless there is some buried under ground that I have not explored yet. http://www.makebonsai.com/guide/bonsailink.asp?quicklink=5019&name=Caragana_arborescens

Should I bother to bonsai them? If so how do I separate a trunk or two from the clusters? I imagine just an axe and let them grow? They really are like an over grown weed in my yard.

Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited:

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes thats the one, sorry for the horrible spelling - even in my subject line.:eek:

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok I'll self help answer ...

I get it, I think... I asked, 'should I collect some waste of time, uninteresting hedge/shrub/tree'... no answer = No you should not. I'm learning. OR it's my in correct spelling.

but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-glgsc0HA A Graham Potter video on a hedge trimming, no not the same material but the same growth patterns.

So I'm a tree-aholic with bad spelling and grammar , I'll try potting up a Caragana. Before you rush out and get some I'll post the results in a year or two or three or never if it goes to shit. They do grow well in my area so worth a try and they gotta go anyways. Caragana actually do have some good qualities, they flower, small leaves, and a weird pod thing.

Self help.

rosieface

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't know anything about anything, but I think those trees are very pretty, if that helps.

And since you've got such a good supply of them, you can at least take comfort in the fact that you'll have plenty of material to make mistakes on!

Top Bottom