Carving Chisel/Gouge

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I had a chance to use the gouge sitting on the edge of this pot last weekend; it had a curved head and worked on the push stroke. It was amazing to use, and I was assured I wouldn't be able to find one like it...anyone out there seen anything similar?
Thanks!
Brian

Attachments

• DSC02881.jpg
    DSC02881.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 164

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Brian,
I can't see the tool very well, but one can find an amazing selection of carving tools at www.japanwoodworker.com. BTW, it's an American company, in the SF bay area.
Chris

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey they don't call him "Tom sausage hands" for nothing:D:D:D

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Brian,
I can't see the tool very well, but one can find an amazing selection of carving tools at www.japanwoodworker.com. BTW, it's an American company, in the SF bay area.
Chris
That's the best price for the indispensable hori-hori I ever seen. Been using mine for 40 years, it never wears out. Hitachi rail steel.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
:DNever let it be said Tom Brown doesn't get into his work, or is it the other way around.:D

Was that before or after you cooked yourselfm making wire??:D

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey they don't call him "Tom sausage hands" for nothing:D:D:D
Seems that way Ian...you should appreciate the tendon anchor at the tip of the index finger...cut that when we carried Davids Black Pinezilla.....was so heavy and just resting on the tip of my fingers...SNAP it went.

:DNever let it be said Tom Brown doesn't get into his work, or is it the other way around.:D

Was that before or after you cooked yourselfm making wire??:D

Errrrrrr that is an on going event Bill. When you make a 100 rolls at a time you tend to sport a nice even tan, some even mistake me as a Californian :D

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Seems that way Ian...you should appreciate the tendon anchor at the tip of the index finger...cut that when we carried Davids Black Pinezilla.....was so heavy and just resting on the tip of my fingers...SNAP it went.

Yeah, I can post the MRI of my herniated disks to go with it. You heard from Dave lately?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Errrrrrr that is an on going event Bill. When you make a 100 rolls at a time you tend to sport a nice even tan, some even mistake me as a Californian :D

:D Keep turning then make sure you are done all the way around.

BackBud

Seed
Reaction score
Brian,
Chris
Good site, thank you. I found exactly what I was looking for -- a 3/16" Gouge. https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/11sweep-3-16-gouge?via=58923197617070231a00002d
(Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I was happy to find it.)

Top Bottom