Carving practice, suggestions needed

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had this juniper for several years. The only thing I have done wsa to remove some branches on one end and change the planting angle. I think it has a lot of potential, especially for carving, but I don't know which way to go with it. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Juni1.jpg
    Juni1.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 47
  • juni2.jpg
    juni2.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 47
  • juni3.jpg
    juni3.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 44
  • juni4.jpg
    juni4.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 44
  • juni5.jpg
    juni5.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 41

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Did you just recently chop that branch? If so, get the bark off ASAP. It is much easier to de-bark a branch when everything is fresh than after it has dried. You also will get clearer idea as to how much actual carving is needed for a natural looking jin.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you just recently chop that branch? If so, get the bark off ASAP. It is much easier to de-bark a branch when everything is fresh than after it has dried. You also will get clearer idea as to how much actual carving is needed for a natural looking jin.
I agree with this greatly.
I am airlayering a blueberry with deadwood on one side and live wood on the other, and I had to pretty much widdle it off on the dead side while I just peeled it off on the other.
Its going to create roots on only one side sadly but I'll train them over to the other side too and maybe that will help.

Top Bottom