Carving Reverse Taper?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can reverse taper be cut out? Let's say that it's just a bulge on a Maple. Could it not just be carved out? I've never heard this discussed.

Last year I air layered this Amur Maple and removed the stub last week. I had to cut pretty deep into the remaining trunk and it got me thinking, wouldn't the same thing apply with inverse taper. I get that if the taper is completely around the entire diameter, it may be more difficult because of girdling the tree but if you just want to remove it from a certain viewing angle, couldn't you just carve it?

_DSF6821.JPG

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see it discussed occasionally. There’s four general methods I’ve seen discussed to fix inverse taper:

1. Grow out sacrifice branches below the bulge.

2. Air layer the tree at the bulge.

3. Chop below the bulge.

4. Carve the bulge.

The methods are not always mutually exclusive, especially 2 and 3. It’s also important to remember that inverse taper is not inherently a flaw. It’s usually a flaw, but context is everything.

I personally try to avoid carving wherever possible. It has sometimes proven necessary to heal over a large chop, but otherwise, it tends to look artificial. I’d rather see an unhealed chop wound than artificial driftwood.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I cant really see whats going on with the foil in the way. I have nibbled away at reverse taper with knob cutters and carving tools yes.
before and after
46971928631_00138b361c_c.jpg46247518754_5a990ecdbd_c.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can reverse taper be cut out? Let's say that it's just a bulge on a Maple. Could it not just be carved out? I've never heard this discussed.

Last year I air layered this Amur Maple and removed the stub last week. I had to cut pretty deep into the remaining trunk and it got me thinking, wouldn't the same thing apply with inverse taper. I get that if the taper is completely around the entire diameter, it may be more difficult because of girdling the tree but if you just want to remove it from a certain viewing angle, couldn't you just carve it?

View attachment 481408
Judicious carving in stages to improve a perceived fault is a reasonable approach. Subject to the skill of the carver, the care of the tree and the species involved. Some species lend themselves to this approach mores than others. I have used this approach to improve a large bend in a mountain hemlock that left the impression of reverse taper! It was a definite improvement on what would be considered an obvious fault.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are a few methods to help ease the inverse taper appearance. I think that depending on the location of the bulge and the severity it could be carved out as you did with that tree. Now, I don't think it is something you want to do with a tree on a bonsai pot as growth is severely slowed down. On the grown or in a grow bed, definitely possible.

You could do like a few have done and graft a thin branch from top-bottom of the scar to help it heal quicker. I have been thinking about attempting to "peel" the cambium layer from a branch while separating it from the tree without removing a potion from the tree, and grafting it back covering the wound. Kinda like bonhe does with the black pine. I'm sure that don't make sense at all... so, like a plastic surgeon when he removes a ton of excess skin from a patient and then sewing the two edges together.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In regards to maples, here's Corin carving out some pruning cuts with a makita and knob cutters. This is more of a European thing though, some may wince at this type of work on maples.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

View attachment 481408
It depends on the species. I know for sure that it is difficult to lop off an inverse taper on a BC straight trunk. I tried it several times on two different BC trees. Each time I carved it out, the resulting scar from the cut recreated the inverse taper. Each time I tried to make a bigger cut hoping to make it smaller after the scar heals but that didn't work for me with BC.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How long did it take for the scar to heal over, or did it ever completely?
I had it for about 3 years then sold it, so not during my time. I guess all scars will heal eventually, some quicker than others depending on how much free growth you allow. Scars heal very quickly in the ground. Im not bothered by scars though, I either make them a feature or put them to the back or side, as in the case of the tree above.

Top Bottom