Carving rock?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have seen several videos of people carving/grinding rocks for root on/over rock plantings. Has anyone here done such and what type of rock is best used? Any info would be great.
I'm sure I have most of what I'd need for the work. I guess all I really need is to know what is the best rock to use and more importantly what rocks not to use that could cause harm to the plants.

Thanks,
Kevin

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Here is my take:
guzillion root over rocks have been done
The rock and all its traits, the composure of the plant on it, the contrasts and compliments of the two determine the quality of the outcome--that and time.
I think 99% rocks are not toxic
Some rocks are alkaline like limestone--some plants may not like this but most don't mind
hard strong unfractured rocks (igneaous) stand time
very soft or fractured rocks can break from roots or frost or water
Rocks with interesting natural surfaces are great
Rocks with channels or bumps or knarlyness are great
Usually only minor cutting is necessary to prepare a regular root over rock planting (diamond blade in saw)
If rocks are combined they normally should look of the same ilk
the best rock is what looks the best (based on what is available), is durable and available--look and you shall find.
rocks and coral from salt water can be bad because, well, they are salty.
You can buy special rocks just for this. One such is the imported Japanese rocks. I froget their name but it starts with "I". Usually they are pretty nice. I think they are acid treated to bring out the interest.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for the great reply Crust!

Top Bottom