Carving thin lines

Bob Hunter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
looking for a dremel bit for making the fine lines... been looking for days and no luck.

IMG_1126.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What do you mean by fine lines? Width? Depth?
In wood carving, I find that when the lines are super thin, carving chisels can do the job just as fast and with better control.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looking for a dremel bit for making the fine lines... been looking for days and no luck.

View attachment 488790
A fine cutting blade would work I suppose for longer straight sections. Also, If you check various websites for hand tools you will find a hand carving tool in various widths similar to the ones pictured below! I prefer to use this type of tool to create the effect you are picturing! it is slower but allows for variation in width and movement for a more natural effect. I purchased mine from Bonsai Tonight. The tool on the right is called a grafting chisel and is also useful for fine intricate cuts with some depth.
The narrow gouge style is very handy for beginning to strip deeper tissue and get a piece you can grip with pliers for tearing as well.
Just some alternatives to consider.

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Bob Hunter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What do you mean by fine lines? Width? Depth?
In wood carving, I find that when the lines are super thin, carving chisels can do the job just as fast and with better control.
Like a mini skill saw blade for dremel about 1/2" in diameter fine blade on edge and gets wider to the middle. IMG_1742.jpg

john blanch

Yamadori
Reaction score
These look cheap, made from carbide also, bonsai4me are out of stock for the saucer shaped cutters.
A Google search came up with these.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

the saw type disks will do it and are really cheap. Ive used the 2nd one with finer teeth before. takes practice

Top Bottom