Carving tools preferences

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Carving tools preferences?
All,
Been awhile for me to get back on the NUT. But I have recently purchased some high speed carving bits from Graham Potter's site, and am wondering from any of you that have experience in this, what kind of die grinder you use for these styles of bits? Got alot to carve and little time.
Thanks in advance,,,,
KJ

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've got a Makita 1/4" shank variable speed die grinder to do the heavy wood removal. I've got a ryobi dremel 1/8" for the smaller detail carving. I use a lot of hand tools as well.

Similar tools, just different brands. Potter has some cool stuff available. I have only used bits available in any hardware store.

More importantly: Use safety equipment and talk to everyone in the household so nobody walks up behind you while you work. Practice on practice material until you feel confident enough to take a spinning blade to your good stuff.

A router bit or carving bit on a die grinder can do serious damage, very quickly.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use the Auto Mach HCT-30 , it has the advantage of a reciprocating attachment for cutting knives that make detailed carving easier. As well as the rotary action for bits. I have used it for over ten years now and would not switch. Several friends use "Foredom " brand and swear by them. have also always had good experience with Makita, I believe they are less expensive.
I do have a small hand held battery operated Dremel that is handle for smaller detailed light work. Here are a few photos from the display at Kokofu 2011 where the Auto mach and accessories were purchased. I am sure they could be ordered online in this day and age, they might even be available through a dealer in the States by now for all I know.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom