Real purty.

Is This the one with the bee?

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, yes, this is the one with the bee, but the bee pictures were taken yesterday (or the day I made the bee post), these pictures were taken a week ago. The nice weather has really helped in making the flowers last, plus I remembered to spray fungicide to prevent petal blight this year.

John

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Pretty flowers. Can't say much about the bonsai because I can't see it - base, trunk, branches, etc.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
John,

This is a great example of "what next"? The Azalea is wonderful and seems to flow nicely. However, once the flowers are gone you're left with sparse foliage. So, what next? What's the best way to green it back up again? I know some are going to say prune it back but is that the only answer? If you're trying to create branch structure then pruning it back seems to defeat the purpose. Almost every Azalea I have is leggy this time of year yet I see images of many that aren't.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I will trim it back after I mark which branches have the white and red flowers so I don't cut them off. I will take most of the branches back at least half way and it will back bud like crazy.

It depends on the species you have for the leaves this time of year. Kurumes bloom before they put out new growth, so they always look sparse, which is what this one is.

Satsukis put out new growth before they bloom which is why they look more lush.

John

Reactions: Vin

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, Brian, and that is why I will be marking them before cutting.
Cypress, they are not really that big, maybe the size of a US quarter.
Everything is big in the US :p (i imagine your quarters are also big).
I couldn't really compare the size but they look/feel big.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I guess that is a conundrum, but not all things are big here, especially my paycheck. Let's try another comparison...petal to petal, maybe the diameter of a walnut.

John

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
is the wood of the bench 1"x1"?
they seem comparable to the arakawa maple leaves?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Beautiful. Looks like you have 3 or 4 different color blooms. White, pink with white, pink, white with pink. Azaleas are one of my favorites.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes this is one of my favorites, another flea market score. The flower usually have a darker pink color to them but are fainter this year. There were even some last year that were pink with white striations. I think it might be due to it getting too dry right before they opened.

John

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Possibly...

I found that my azalea have stronger colors when I started using straight kanuma. Maybe it's the acidity... Maybe it's just they like kanuma.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Possibly...

I found that my azalea have stronger colors when I started using straight kanuma. Maybe it's the acidity... Maybe it's just they like kanuma.

I doubt it, it was growing in potting soil when I got it and has been it the mix I currently use now for a while and the colors have been strong. I do have bark in the soil and sphagnum moss on top, both of which add acidity.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Adair,
Where do you get your Kanuma? I will be repotting some azaleas in the next week or so, I try an experiment. I don't know if i will go 100%, but I might add it to the mix and see what happens.

Thoughts?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Here is the "what's next". It had gotten slow on draining so I figured the roots had filled the pots and a repot was in order. It got a repot and then a trim. In a few weeks it will fill back in.

JohnDSC09807-1.jpg DSC09810-1.jpg DSC09814-1.jpg DSC09818-1.jpg DSC09819-1.jpg

Top Bottom