Cascade Pyracantha

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
I repotted this pyracantha yesterday from a similar sized, general use eathernware garden pot. At the same time I did a little more carving on the stump here. The history of the tree is that it used to be sat in front of our kitchen window in the previous house, about 6ft wide by about 4 ft height and maybe 6-12" deep, basically a trimmed hedge. We had some work done and this was in the way, but I asked the builder to keep it for me. That was about 16-17 years ago. I did nothing quickly, but being pyracantha it's tough as old boots and I eventually got round to it. Some general hacking brought it down to an interesting stump with a massive root structure which forms the basis of the deadwood. The initial carving was mainly using a small battery dremmel and largely following adn opening up the channels created by wood-boring insects.

I'm happy enough with the stump and carving, but need to work a lot on the cascade, I'm hoping that the repotting will give it some more vigour for me to work with.

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good stump. Nice start. Please consider putting your general location in your profile so people can give you climate-appropriate responses.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wowzers! That is a nice specimen.
Very strong, and presumptuous... but also tender... and sensitive by contrast.

I am admittedly jealous, and eager to discover what the future holds for this tree. :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like it!! Don't think of the stump as a stump, but rather as a piece of a cliff, or a rocky outcropping. Don't try to make the cascade and the trunk fit together from a scale perspective. Right now the difference in scale and appearance really make the stump and the cascading branch complement each other!

This is seriously one of the best designs I have seen in the last month. You just have to get it to strengthen up. With berries, this would be a killer tree. The pot is the right scale and dimension, I'm just not sure about the white. When I think of this tree with red berries, I lean towards the same pot in a dark textured blue... or even a textured black glaze.

Last edited:

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
I like it!! Don't think of the stump as a stump, but rather as a piece of a cliff, or a rocky outcropping. Don't try to make the cascade and the trunk fit together from a scale perspective. Right now the difference in scale and appearance really make the stump and the cascading branch complement each other!

This is seriously one of the best designs I have seen in the last month. You just have to get it to strengthen up. With berries, this would be a killer tree. The pot is the right scale and dimension, I'm just not sure about the white. When I think of this tree with red berries, I lean towards the same pot in a dark textured blue... or even a textured black glaze.
That is kind of how I think of the stump as well, I almost have this as a root over rock in my mind with the big stump acting as the rocks.

It's not flowered yet, but you may be right on the pot, I'm always open minded there. If you look in the pictures behind it there is a juniper in an unglazed square cascade pot, which is the kind of thing I have also considered here

Top Bottom